Door lock mechanism fritzed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock mechanism fritzed out

...Also on my dad's GM. It appears the power door loock on front passenger door doesn't work, so I took apart the arm rest to fix the manual door lock rod (so I can at least lock it manually) . To my surprise....the manual lock lever doesn't even work...its jammed. I tried to lock it by key...Can't...its jammed...What gives?!?!?!?!? Anybody had this issue?!?!?!?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Sounds like the lock mechanism is jammed / fried / or otherwise toast... Another cause could be the door lock cylinder it self... you need to take apart the door, and see what isn't working. Sounds like junk yard time, regardless!!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

What year vehicle are you working on? My only experience with that type of situation is with power-lock solenoids freezing up in the middle of the winter, which of course jams the whole lock mechanism. Worse still if it happens like it did to me - on all the doors at once while the car is locked! After that experience, I removed all the lock solenoids on that car, and never had a problem again.

But yes, if you haven't tried it already, pull the door panel off and disconnect the solenoid plunger - frozen or stuck lock solenoids seem to be a pretty common problem. With any luck, a new lock solenoid will fix things up for you.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

By the way: if you do replace the door lock solenoid, it's one of those few items that the oem/gm part makes a difference. I had terrible experience with cheap chinese lock solenoids; they freeze up at 40F! But they're working this summer, I'll just save up for better ones before fall

Comment

I think I have some of the power door locks lying aroun the garage. that is what I figured went bad! I will have to pull the door off and look at it. If not, JUNKYARD TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

By the way: they're not terribly strong little motors, it doesn't take very much to stall them out, and a stalled electric motor will quickly burn out (it's shorting between the brushes at that point).
            Just double check that all the various pushrods move smoothly, maybe clean and re-lubricate the latch and all joints. I know on my station wagon, the tailgate has a reputation among others of burnt lock solenoids-- because it has a reputation of a sticky latch.

Comment

Gotcha. my dad always told me make sure everything that needs grease...gets grease.....(always thought he had stocl in grease lol) If I remember correctly, doesn't the solenoid power door lock have a rivet... how does it disconnect????

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yup, it's riveted.
                You drill out the rivet.

Others try to re-rivet it, I'm lazy-- turned out there was some size (I want to say 5/16"-something on my locks?) that the rivet hole was the perfect size just to be tapped. A 1/2" cap screw threaded right in, and it's been holding for a couple months now anyway.

Comment

You can also pop the solenoid out of the bracket that is riveted to the door.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Great. I will look forward to this Thanks for the help guys!!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X