ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition coils

There's not a huge price disparity between the Motorcraft and generic bands. Well, the MC coil is 4x the price of the Standard Motor Products coil, but the difference is only around 30 bucks. Is there a big quality difference?

Do coils get weak with age? My limited understanding of their inner workings tells me yes, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Will they make weak spark or just stop making spark one day? Or both?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Quality: Motorcraft unit is likely tested to tighter tolerances.

Age: I've never worried about it. I've got two junkyard HEI's still in service, one for 20+ years, the other at least 15+ years. If it gives a spark, and the engine spins over, and it has no difficulty starting, I'm good with it.

Both symptoms are possible. Weak spark usually due to the windings being compromised. Its a transformer, so unless you managed to apply so much voltage to it that it began to melt, there ain't much to go wrong otherwise.

Alex.

Comment

Recently my car has taken longer to crank, and I thought it was a somewhat long crank time to begin with. Starter spins as fast as the day it was installed.

I know it needs air/fuel/spark to run and I'm going through the possibilities.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

how do you test the coil output? can you do it with a multimeter? trying to figure out if it's making weak spark or not. everything between the coil and combustion chamber is new so they're all ruled out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
          Recently my car has taken longer to crank, and I thought it was a somewhat long crank time to begin with. Starter spins as fast as the day it was installed.

I know it needs air/fuel/spark to run and I'm going through the possibilities.
          What's long to you?

A spark tester will check the coil for you. One with an adjustable gap. If it can arc blue across a .030" gap, your coil is fine.

Comment

Working...
          X