General Electrical Sender Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Electrical Sender Question

The electric oil pressure gauge I have installed in my car jumps. Miraculously (or not) it steadies out once the car is warmed up. I pull the sender wire and ground it and it pegs the gauge like it should. Everything worked like it should when it was first installed and lasted for about 7 months or so. So is it safe to believe that the jumpy signal displayed by my electric oil pressure gauge is due to a faulty sender installed in the block?

(Sunpro electrical oil gauge with matching sender)
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

how much of a jump are we talking here... mine jumps +/- 5 PSI from electrical variations in my car (AC clutch and brakes being the larger causes). Mine actually jumps more when warm as the pressure drops to ~25psi.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the senders aren't real smooth, neither are the gauges. 5 psi of pressure fluctuation could show up as a noticeable jump in the gauge. It seems to me that electric oil pressure senders read in increments of about 5-10 psi. If you change some value between that, it sort of kicks back and forth.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

In my situation jump is anywhere from 5-50psi. The damn thing was smooth when new. It is unreal how much this fucker jumps just idling the car.

Sorta difficult to see but in the beginning of this video I place the camera on my armrest for a few seconds at that point look up past the shifter to the gauge and you will see the needle hopping around.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thats not normal. A needle's width is what I'd expect, not half of the gauge face.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. Faulty sender was the problem. Swapped it out and it now has a nice steady reading a tad above 50psi again. Thanks guys.
            ~David~

Comment

I actually had that problem with my old Dakota now that I think about it. It dropped to 0 while driving, scared the hell out of me. Confirmed it was good with a mechanical gauge and replaced the sender, no more problem.

Comment

yeah... mine twitches about 3psi... ish. nothing like that. wow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Yeah. Faulty sender was the problem. Swapped it out and it now has a nice steady reading a tad above 50psi again. Thanks guys.
                  Didn't you have this problem a few months ago? I thought you replaced that sender. It broke again?

Comment

The problem has been going on for a while now. Just got around to replacing it after all this time. I was getting annoyed at the spasms it was having.
                    ~David~

Comment

Working...
                    X