Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECM Question

Hello all...

Im brand spanking new to the Crown Vic scene, and a relative newbie to car repair in general. I have a question about the computer in my 85 Vic.

Two years ago I had a lock system installed as a christmas gift to my grandpa so he could use a key fob. About a year ago, he went to start it and when he turned the key, the locks started going crazy and it wouldn't start. It has sat since then. Today it turns over but will not fire. The starter gets very sluggish and gets VERY hot. We pulled it and had it tested, but it tested fine, as it is brand new. We thought the starter was the problem, but guessing not at this point.

We unhooked the lock module to bypass it and have gone through and changed and/or tested everything. New spark plug, new starter, new battery, new coil, new distibutor module, new cap and rotor, new ignition switch and new spark plug wires. I'm at a loss here.

My question is....do you think the computer is fried? Any input, advice and info is appreciated.

unlikely. If the starter is very slow, check the cables to the starter, and the ones coming from the battery. Corrosion and loose connections cause lots of issues.

Do you have spark? Will it start if you shoot some starting fluid in the throttle body?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

check your starter solenoid to. they shit the bed every now and then i went through 3 of them.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Does the fuel pump come on when you put the key in the run position?

Comment

The fuel pump does kick on when you turn the key. The starter solenoid and starter are brand new. It does not spark and will not fire with starter fluid sprayed in. Its definitely getting fuel because you can smell it and hear it the pump.

Comment

ok, so its ignition. Do you have 12v at the coil with the key on? How about with it cranking?
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My dad and I spent a while working on the car today. New ecm installed, car fires now but only runs if we are constantly feeding it starting fluid or putting gas right into the carb. The fuel pump is working and has plenty of pressure.

It has been sitting for almost a year, so we thought maybe bad gas was gumming up the works. We drained the tank and put new gas and a bottle of seafoam in it. Is this a cfi issue? Thinking of replacing the injectors next. I put a new fuel filter on and we unhooked the fuel line coming into the carb and it sprays plenty of fuel. Starting to get very frustrated...

Comment

Since the installation of the new computer, have you been able to get any codes out of it? KOEO or otherwise would help. you can extract codes with a testlight and grounding one wire. On the drivers side fender there is a connector that looks like a trapezoid and a small rectangular 1 wire plug next to it. As seen here. if you follow the how to there it'll tell you how to extract codes. See if the computer tells you anything, and start there. It sounds like the fuel injectors are not opening, but that might be an electronic issue. http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Comment

check the connector right at the CFI unit. If thats in poor shape, you may simply be getting no power to the injectors. DO they look to be spraying fuel? You should see a mist of fuel coming from them, and hear them ticking if you listen close or hold a hose up to one and the other end to your ear.

Comment

Nobody asked yet, the remote door lock fob also have a security system?
                    Step one is inspecting every inch of that installation, and seeing if they have an ignition kill hooked up. (you'll get spark during crank, but not after it catches--not the case with all theft deterents, but certainly some).

Alex.

Comment

We didn't try the codes yet but we did get it going. For a minute. We put new injectors in it and it fired up and ran. We let it run in the driveway for a few minutes. Took it down the block and it died. Now it's doing the exact same thing again. Starts and runs until the carb is empty and dies. Won't take gas from the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                        Nobody asked yet, the remote door lock fob also have a security system?
                        Step one is inspecting every inch of that installation, and seeing if they have an ignition kill hooked up. (you'll get spark during crank, but not after it catches--not the case with all theft deterents, but certainly some).

Alex.
                        No security system. That was our first thought back when we thought we had it licked.

Comment

Whats your fuel pressure at? Test port should be right on the side or the top of the CFI unit. I forget where it is exactly but its the thing that looks like a tire valve stem.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Whats your fuel pressure at? Test port should be right on the side or the top of the CFI unit. I forget where it is exactly but its the thing that looks like a tire valve stem.
                            I dont have a gauge to test it with me, but when I pressed it, I got a blast of fuel.

There is a dinging (like if you open the door with the key in the ignition) coming from somewhere around the throttle body and the battery keeps draining. Im about to have it towed in if I cant get this resolved pretty soon. The process of elimination is wearing on me.

Comment

Working...
                            X