1989 CP dead electrically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 CP dead electrically

One moment it was fine. Parked it at the office , came back after an hour and turned the ignition key--there wsas a loud sparking type noise from the vicinity of the dashboard and everything went dead. No clicking sounds or dash lights.Radio and clock off. And to top it off the ignition key got stuck and it wont come back to KO position.
    Battery is fine.
    Was it some main fuse or link that might have blown?
    sigpic1988 Colony Park

ignition switch may have fallen apart and shorted. Probably it burned out one of the fuse links under the hood at the starter relay. If there is a problem with the ignition switch or tumbler, you're lucky that its not stuck in the KO position. To remove the cylinder, the key must be turned forward some. REmove the shrounds around the column and look at the switch just under the shift lever. If its fallen apart, theres your issue.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK, here's the update. This morning I went back and fiddled and pulled at the key and it suddenly came back to normal 'off' position, and the key which wouldnt be released, came out easily. I reconnected the positive terminal of the batttery and tried to start the car. It whined a couple of times and started. Took it for a spin,turned it off and on a few times and everything works fine.Should I replace the whole lock assembly? The original isnt available here and I will have to order it from the US. Is there a serial number or VIN number that is required while ordering this part,
      Thanks
      sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

I would at a minimum inspect the electrical part of the ignition switch, and I'd probably pull the lock tumbler out too. If the rod inside the column is damaged, it can cause problems. The lock cylinders sometimes also jam up, so if its on it's way out, you'd be smart to replace it while its still working. They are a real pain to get out if it will not turn.

Don't think the VIN is needed. You should actually be able to order the lock cylinder from Rockauto or any of the other vendors online.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks. Will do.
          sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
          X