Tailgate not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate not working

The window that is. It won't roll up or down. What could it be? Fuse? Wiring? Where in the fuse box is it located?
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

2009 Ford Taurus SEL New DD

should be the circuit breaker actually, same one that runs the rest of the windows. If the others work, the fuse is cool. Pull the panel off of the gate and hook a test light across the wires that go to the motor. Have someone work the switch. If the light comes on, the wiring and switch are good, and the motor itself has died. You might just try whacking the motor with something. I've had them come back to life before by doing that. The old rear door on my car had a balky motor that would randomly die. The usual fix was to slam the door nice and hard, and the motor would go again.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

During the winter months, that door works sometimes, and others it dosen't. That inludes window and locking. where is the circuit breaker?
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

Comment

fuse is an easy first check. (where is the window circuit breaker btw?)

But of course, could be the window motor, too!

I didn't want to deal with dismantling the regulator --I think you have to pull the regulator to pull the motor?--
        so I took a holesaw and drilled out the sheetmetal where the 3 bolts hold the motor in place, just like you do for the door window motors, and swapped it that way. Put in little plugs; it's not going to a concourse competition.

Motors were <$50 iirc.

Comment

its in the fuse box. The silver rectangle thing. Its auto-resetting so if your other windows work, that isn't the issue.

reg doesn't need to come out to change that motor. Seems to me I did it without drilling holes using a ratcheting wrench of the proper size. It did rather suck though.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just out of curiosity...wagons have the power window CB in the fuse box while sedans and coupes have theirs on the starter solenoid? That is the vibe I am getting from what you are saying. My 87 has the power window CB mounted directly to the starter solenoid.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ah shit, you're right. it is on the starter relay. must be thinking of something else, or talking out of my ass. or both.

either way, if the other windows work, the breaker is not the problem.

Comment

its prolly the motor. its very easy to verify if you have power. pull the plastic panel off and the red and yellow wire harness with grey connector should be right there. un plug it. on the vehicle side, test for power. gound your test light to the car and with a friend opperating the switch, check for power comming from the red and yellow wire. one wire is for up possition and the other is for the down. if you got power, good chance the motor is the issue. another question, is the motor running but, no glass movment? could be bushings in the motor. regardless, motor would have to be removed. the tailgate power window motor works hard on these cars. so a burnt motor is not uncommon.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It's USUALLY the switch in the latch. There is a safety switch that keeps it from operating if the door is open.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    It's USUALLY the switch in the latch. There is a safety switch that keeps it from operating if the door is open.
                    that makes sense... the hinges on the tailgate are very worn and it doesn't close/latch properly. One of many things on a looonnnggg list to fix on this wagon.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                      that makes sense... the hinges on the tailgate are very worn and it doesn't close/latch properly. One of many things on a looonnnggg list to fix on this wagon.
                      Hey now! That's my baby you talking about.....

Comment

Working...
                      X