Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gear shift indicator wire-- installed photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear shift indicator wire-- installed photos?

I always figure when I remove shit, that,
    "of course I'll know how it goes back together! It's obvious now, taking it off, it'll be obvious tomorrow when I put it back, there's only one way after all, right?"

Well, no, it isn't...
    So, anyone have a photo?
    The little wire that goes from the shift handle on the right hand side of the steering column, loops under it, and goes to the gauge. There are two white plastic brackets.
    I can't for the life of my car figure out where and in what orientation those little brackets screw on. If you've got a photo, you'll have my undying gratitude.
    Well, for about 70 years or so, until I die myself, unless gratitude lives on.

This is a 90 right? cable goes through a little black plastic gear. Attach the cable on the lever, and turn that gear in until the indicator reads correctly.

Comment

right, it does. The little black gear is attached to one of the white plastic mounting brackets.
      I just can't figure out how the 2 white mounting brackets attach to the instrument cluster and the steering column respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        right, it does. The little black gear is attached to one of the white plastic mounting brackets.
        I just can't figure out how the 2 white mounting brackets attach to the instrument cluster and the steering column respectively.
        2 white mounting brackets? Pics?

Comment

sorry they've been a week in coming.
          It should be easy, but just can't find what position they go in. I'm 90% sure I've got the right bracket by the right position (that is to say, the wire loops could be at the wrong ends).Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1265233Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1265234

Comment

yeah... that thumb screw end should go on that black hex head (7/32 drive). The other should bolt down at the end of the indicator where that threaded bit in the clear plastic is. I don't see the screw hole on the thumb-screw end though... it's probably blocked by the angle of the bracket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X