Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window motor: thumpin' it

Dear Panthers,
    My driver's window is stuck in the down position. No sound from motor. Last time this happened the body mn removed the panel and smacked the door atop the motor. And it worked. Recommended?

Donald McCaig

Err, if you like??
    Not a proper fix. If it works at all, then it would only bear out proof that some electrical connection is only tenuously connected, and thumping it has gotten it to reconnect for the time being.

Anyway, yeah, take the door panel off, verify power to the motor, if power is there, replace the motor!
    I've had to do ALL of mine now. In every case, it was not the wiring or a fuse, the motor just died.
    Some people like to open up the motor and see if a white plastic gear/bushing has stripped out, and rebuild the motor. It's a bit cheaper. Your call.

Comment

hold the switch up and slam the door. If it goes up, it probably means the brushes in the motor are worn out and it needs replacing. I had one that did this about once a year, usually every spring after the first time I opened the window in a while.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, my passenger window does this once in a few months. I usually slam the door while holding the switch, and it works. Eventually the motor will need to be replaced. I'm just waiting until I have the energy and money to convert to newer motors and replace the bushings that allow rattling.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thanks but didn't work. Thump? Donald

Comment

yeah, may need a little more direct persuasion. I've had to hammer on starters before to get me home in a pinch. Window motor wouldn't be much different.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,

Tried the doorslam again this morning. temp maybe 15 degree's cooler. Rolled up. Thanks again. I'll put tape over the switch until I get it fixed.

Donald

Comment

I left one of my windows down yesterday. Went to put it up this morning, no dice. Had to slam the door 3 times before it started to work. Guess I'll have to pull the motor out and fix it. Its an original untouched 1982 window motor that came in the door when I bought it.

Comment

and that was a genuine ford replacement motor........friggin junk parts!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The only window motor I had problems with on my old doors was the rear driver's side. It was a Ford Reman motor. The other 3 were originals and never gave me trouble.

Comment

My passenger front does this. Only if the window is put down all of the way...if it's half a centimeter above the door line, it's fine, but once it's down it stays down.

I kind of want to keep it like this for how often I drive the car and how nice it feels to hit the fucking thing once in a while.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Bushings probably exploded. I've seen that a bunch of times.

Comment

Working...
                        X