worth getting extra lock actuators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worth getting extra lock actuators?

Buying oem lock actuators from a guy on ebay. I *need* one that never works, then the tailgate (it's a wagon) and the driver door sometimes don't work (and might get worse once it gets cold outside), so that's 3... Wondering if I should buy all 5 just to be safe? All five =$250, so a fair bit of change. But if these are getting harder to find --and I already spent $75 on three chinese ones that barely work, hence the tailgate and driver door that won't work once it gets cold-- might be worth having the extras on hand?

If you can get OEM parts, at a reasonable price, I would stock up and hold them. I try to keep most of my parts indoors and in the A/C. I know they are made for outdoor use but why hurry up the aging process?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Well, I wish they were cheaper, but probably $50/ lock actuator is the best it's gonna get.
      I'll spend the extra $100 and have them. With electrical parts, it's inevitable that they'll fail some day.
      And the chinese ones failed so horribly.

Comment

I would use only OEM's for that part. I think, some time ago, I put you in touch with the company that sells them on EBAY. There are in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Let me know if you still have the info. Approximately $50 sounds about right!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

That is what I discovered. I put in chinese motors in the spring; same shitty kits that everyone from autozone to advance to probably napa sells where you assemble the right rod length, and found that they stuck at <40F in temperature. One of them never fully locks itself even when warm. So yeah, I've been just sitting on them working on other things first, but finally biting the bullet.

If that was you, thanks. I'd saved his ebay name for later when I had the money/ was ready to get to it.
          I was hoping he'd cut a deal on buying $300 at once, but, he would only do combined shipping. I'm not going to haggle too hard, since my next options are to (a) hacksaw open and rebuild the chinese ones with appropriate lubrication and original rod lengths, or (b) $160 for a quality actuator from rockauto.

Here's one of the auctions I've bought, for the front actuators:
          FITS LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE. THESE ACTUATORS ARE GENUINE FORD PRODUCTS NOT MADE IN CHINA ! IF YOU WANT TO DO THE JOB ONCE, YOU'VE GOT TO USE THE RIGHT PARTS!

Comment

That is the correct place to get them. I ordered two for my '87 GM and now have to install the second one. Glad I ordered the spare!!

Comment

it was hilarious, last summer 4 of my window motors died in succession over the course of a month. First the passenger front, then the tailgate and passenger rear, then the driver's door. It was as if window motor plague had struck!
              Last one died two or three weeks ago; turns out the florida guy also has the oem window motor for $40, so why not.

Comment

At that price it isn't worth taking the motor apart and replacing bushings. I have just been replacing the entire motor!

Comment

My solution for bad door lock actuators was to remove them.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    it was hilarious, last summer 4 of my window motors died in succession over the course of a month. First the passenger front, then the tailgate and passenger rear, then the driver's door. It was as if window motor plague had struck!
                    Last one died two or three weeks ago; turns out the florida guy also has the oem window motor for $40, so why not.
                    I need a window motor.
                    Can you send me the link for the "Florida Guy"

Thanks

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

see above; was already posted
                      One of his lock actuator auctions... but just send an email and ask about a window motor, he's got 'em.

Comment

Working...
                      X