No announcement yet.

turning signals wont flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I was thinking through my explanation of why a single burnt out bulb makes a flasher flash faster.
    I don't think it's right, and am hoping someone can come up with a working explanation.

You have 3 bulbs in parallel with each other, and then a flasher unit in series with all of them.
    In parallel, any path to ground, no matter how resistive, still makes for lower overall resistance than not having it.
    So if a bulb burns out, total resistance will go up, won't it?
    Which blows a hole in my thinking that a burnt bulb would mean higher current through the flasher, and faster flashing as it heats up more quickly.
    Since in fact total resistance will end up being higher, and less current passing through the flasher.
    What am I missing?

Comment

Yep, right hand signals work fine.

Thanks for the answer. More parts to get, woo-hoo!

Comment

hey, just an $8 part tho!

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
          By the way, I was thinking through my explanation of why a single burnt out bulb makes a flasher flash faster.
          I don't think it's right, and am hoping someone can come up with a working explanation.

You have 3 bulbs in parallel with each other, and then a flasher unit in series with all of them.
          In parallel, any path to ground, no matter how resistive, still makes for lower overall resistance than not having it.
          So if a bulb burns out, total resistance will go up, won't it?
          Which blows a hole in my thinking that a burnt bulb would mean higher current through the flasher, and faster flashing as it heats up more quickly.
          Since in fact total resistance will end up being higher, and less current passing through the flasher.
          What am I missing?
          the flasher is in series interms of the curcuit. the bulbs them selfs are in parallel. if the bulbs were in series, one bulb would kill the circuit. iv seen both cases. on my old cars when a bulb goes out, the light stays on. but, on newer stuff, i notice the light flashes very fast, when a bulb is burnt out.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            yes, that's a bad flasher unit/ relay. It's stuck on; the bimetallic coil isn't clicking off and on like it should.
            I'm surprised the right hand signals still blink though.
            If there is more load on one side than the other, I can see how on one side the flasher would flash, but on the other, it wouldn't. That's how my flasher went. Then both sides it was just on all the time...

Comment

thanks for the help it was the big round fuses on the fuse block not sure witch one i just went ahead and replaced both and i kinda hope one wasnt a spare

Comment

Working...
              X