No announcement yet.

3g not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, 60 amps of fuse on the charge side of a 130 amp alternator ain't gonna do it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I finally broke down and rewired another key-on switch with a 20 amp fuse, and it works amazing now. Thanks guys for the help. So my 60amp won't last?

blane
      85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
      09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
      79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
      64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Comment

The alternator puts out 130 amps. The fuse will blow at something slightly over 60 amps. You do the math

Also, you're not using any of the stock charge wiring are you? If so, unhook it. Its impossible to fuse things that run through multiple cables.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a question on the fuse capacity. Why would the main fuse be 175a as opposed to something closer to the rated output of the alternator?

Jay
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

its the rated output at 100% duty cycle. it can actually pulse higher on a dead short or quick short power demand. the fuse is based on the wire capacity and if its too small even a slow-blow fuse will pop on high demand.

If the battery is in good shape will rarely take 60 amps charging, but if your pulling more than 60 amps out with ignition, fuelpump, wipers, blower motor, ac clutch, stereo, all the other addon electric stuff we love, that alt will start putting out enough to blow that line fuse as it feeds the harness and charges the battery.
            Last edited by bigbeigeboat; 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM.
            You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

Thanks,

That makes sense.

Jay
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
              X