Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bulb choices?

hi,

I have hella H4 headlights and I am going to replace the standard halogen bulbs as they are pretty old now. My 1st. thought was silver stars. Now I am torn by the Silver Star Ultras. Also I see that GE now has a performance halogen bulb out called Nighthawk & Nighthawk Platinum. Also phillips has an offering now. These are generally all good quality brand names.

I do not want to blind oncomming traffic but would like more than standard halogen. I hope these goals are not mutally exclusive.

The headlights I have are not the dot approved units. they throw straight & to the right. Not so much to the left, which is a big help in not blinding oncomming traffic.

Anyone have any knowledge they would like to share?

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Recently Amazon had the Nighthawk Platinum bulbs on sale for $39.99 buy one pair get one free & free shipping. Check the deals section for the link. My '99 bulbs were stock! From the factory. They make a hell of a difference, it's a white but not blue light, and it's made within DOT guidelines so you're going to have good, but not super light throw distance. All bulbs come with a scatter-chart on the back of the package that tell you the light output and such so you can compare them. Drop by a store that carries them, compare, decide, and then look to see if there are any amazing deals online. If not, buy locally, content that you've made an informed decision and are going to be happy with them for a long time.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM. Reason: added platinum
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I ran Silver Stars for years, they had a nice white light and didn't draw enough amps that I needed to relay the circuit. I can't find them locally any more but NAPA Cearvision XL bulbs seem to be the same as Silver Stars.
      You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

Working...
      X