Several problems with my '91 Merc GM CP wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several problems with my '91 Merc GM CP wagon

Hi. Here is a list of what's wrong with my GM wagon...Any help would be very much appreciated.

1) Air bag light blinks five times, pauses, five more...on and on. Sometimes, it'll quit, then a chime comes on five times, pauses, then repeats. It's insane! I can not find a "five" or a "55" air bag code anywhere online. What's up???

2) Wipers stay in the full "up" position when turned off, no matter what speed they were on. I can manually push them back to the full "park" position, though.

3) Both the trip odo and the vehicle odo have quit on me, within just a few days of each other. Probably the crappy worm gears these have, have failed.

4) I get a bit of a rough engagement of the AOD from 3rd to 4th gear. This is regardless of the speed where the car shifts to Fourth. The car will shudder, and continue on down the road. Vacuum problem? Bad fluid and or filter? Something else?

The car has approximately 90K miles on the 5.0L/AOD drivetrain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Originally posted by patrick66 View Post
    Hi. Here is a list of what's wrong with my GM wagon...Any help would be very much appreciated.

1) Air bag light blinks five times, pauses, five more...on and on. Sometimes, it'll quit, then a chime comes on five times, pauses, then repeats. It's insane! I can not find a "five" or a "55" air bag code anywhere online. What's up???

2) Wipers stay in the full "up" position when turned off, no matter what speed they were on. I can manually push them back to the full "park" position, though.

3) Both the trip odo and the vehicle odo have quit on me, within just a few days of each other. Probably the crappy worm gears these have, have failed.

4) I get a bit of a rough engagement of the AOD from 3rd to 4th gear. This is regardless of the speed where the car shifts to Fourth. The car will shudder, and continue on down the road. Vacuum problem? Bad fluid and or filter? Something else?

The car has approximately 90K miles on the 5.0L/AOD drivetrain.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    1. Code 5 is Forward Crash sensor or ignition circuit short to ground.
    2. Parking cam in windshield motor broke. You need a new wiper motor.
    3. The plastic gears broke inside the cluster. You're beat.
    4. There is no vacuum connection to the trans. They tend to clunk into overdrive.

Comment

You can get replacement odometer and tripmeter gears from this company: http://www.odometergears.com/product...rquis+90-97/60
      I bought a set of odometer and tripmeter gears from this company a few months ago and was satisfied w/ the quality and ease of installation. Most importantly the odometer and tripmeter work again.

Matt

Comment

Are the replacement gears plastic or brass? Plastic will eventually fail again but if it lasts 15-20 years like the originals, I suppose you can't complain too much.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

According to this company the gears are made using a special Celcon type plastic w/ graphite making them self-lubricating.

Comment

Also the original gears and lubrication were not well matched, the grease eats at the plastic, turning it mooshy with age or something, & eventually they disintigrate. I probably read that on the odometergears site. I've replaced 3 gear sets and have a fourth set in the baggie hanging on my fridge for if I ever need them.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I've got the wiper motor on order from Rock Auto, and will be ordering the new speedo/odo worm & gear sets this week.
              1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Comment

Originally posted by patrick66 View Post
                I've got the wiper motor on order from Rock Auto, and will be ordering the new speedo/odo worm & gear sets this week.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                X