My "new" 85 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "new" 85 CV

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have been reading through it for awhile now. After awhile of searching for a reasonably priced 86-89 Town Car I finally just decided to take an old 85 Crown Vic. I was against having it at first because its CFI and I have heard only bad things about that setup. But other than a few minor problems, this car drives great and is almost fully loaded. I just have a few questions to ask you guys if that's ok.

1) The car mostly only starts when I give it just a little bit of gas. It idles fine and I checked the fuel pressure and its ok. I was thinking maybe this could be the TPS going bad and I was wondering how to go about replacing that.

2) The car does have some minor rust spots, mostly on the rear drivers door, which I'll fix shortly, but the main problem with its appearance is the vinyl roof is completely shot, its the worst I've ever seen. I'm thinking of making it a slicktop since it seems that would be cheaper than redoing the vinyl. Would this be an expensive job?

3) The heat/ac only comes through the defrost vent, I now this means there is a vacuum leak, but where would be a good spot to inspect?

4) Would it be a good decision both performance and reliability wise to convert the CFI to an EFI setup? Currently I don't think I'll mess with it for awhile since the CFI is running ok, but for the future...

I'd really like to fix some cosmetic issues with this car and maybe do a few performance modifications as well. I'm also really wanting to add a tripminder and a police 140mph with a police gauge pod. Also some headlight relays with an option of keeping all four lights on at once. Please tell me any other modifications I should do. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1298809Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000206.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1298810Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000208.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1298811Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000217.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1298812
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

1) 85's have a mechanical high idle setup thats basically a choke linkage. If that linkage doesn't work, it may be hard to start. You'll also need to pump the gas once before cranking it most of the time to set the high idle cam in position.

2) which part, replacing the vinyl or ripping it off? Removing it costs the thinner to get rid of the glue residue and the bodywork to fill in the big ugly seam thats in the C pillar area under the top. And filling in all those holes across the middle of the roof. Replacing it may actually not be more expensive if you remove it yourself. You don't have the vinyl in the "belt" across the roof like a Lincoln does. Last time someone gave me a number for that it was about $800 on a Lincoln, half of that being the work for the belt. A Vic would probably be a $500 job.

3) check the soup can and the line to it. The cans rust out at the seams.

4) Yes. More power, less cranky in general. CFI isn't horrible as long as you understand its problems. It dislikes vacuum leaks, and the timing chains on those engines are utter shit. If you replace both items, the CFI generally runs just fine. It won't perform but they run smooth and are generally decent on fuel, provided you don't mind the fact its a gutless wonder. Either way, replacing the timing chain is a good idea even if you go SEFI. The chains on these will jump and lunch the engine.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

About the vinyl top, I would replace it. Why? Well underneath the vinyl lies uneven body seams and TONS of glue and fuzzy matting left over from the vinyl top itself. Fully removing all of the old vinyl top remnants would take a lot of time for someone to do add painting the entire roof to the list as well as welding new metal into the seams you will be spending much more than what a vinyl top would cost......this is assuming you don't do the job yourself. If you can do it yourself then it would be the cheaper route. Definitely not a beginner job though.

OH and why is the battery hold down laying on the rear deck?
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

where in north ky are you welcome to gmn by the way

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

OH and why is the battery hold down laying on the rear deck?
          That's because it has a new battery and it's too big to fit under the stock hold down.

where in north ky are you
          I'm in Ludlow, it's a little town on the river just south of Cincinnati.

I've read that the top can be a pain to remove but I think I may try deleting it. I think a smooth top would look better. That is if I can get it smooth. But if not I can always have one put on.

So is there any other problems that could occur if the linkage doesn't work? Cuz I could live with just pumping the gas at startup.

And yeah it's a lot better on fuel than I thought it would be. That rusty old Aerostar next to it has a 3.0L and the CV gets a little better grant it I'm sure the 3.0L is working harder
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Welcome, I am just south of Alexandria. I put the big battery in mine and haven't used the hold down for years. Big battery fits tight and will not move.
            89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

welcome to the fun. i also have cfi in my 84 tudor and i have to goose the gas just once to get her going. cfi is good and reliable as long as you dont touch it. im in the same process in removing the top and doing a slick top. there is all kinds of good threads on the site too look up and help you along. and plus 1 on what gadget said on changing the timing sets. matt
              1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
              1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Yeah I'll be swapping that timing chain soon, I read they had plastic gears.

Earlier today I found my vacuum leaks, both the auto brake release and the heat/ac check valve broke off at the vacuum tree. I fixed that with some spare tubing. Works great now.

I keep getting a KOER code 41 so I will replace the O2 sensor soon as well.

Does anyone know how to solve a CM code 18 - spout circuit grounded?

Comment

make sure the spout is plugged in good. it's near the distributor, inline with the wires going to the module on the distributor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome to GMN
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to the Party

Comment

Well I got most my problems fixed about to start on removing the vinyl top tomorrow. I read that medium lacquer thinner works good on removing the glue. Anyone else have any better products?

Also found an exhaust leak. A thin pipe connected to the drivers side cat got rusted off but I'm not too worried since I plan to upgrade exhaust anyway.

Does anyone know how much refrigerant should be added to my car? I had the r12 evacuated and am adding in 134a but I can't find my label saying how much to add.

Comment

'86 was 52 oz. Not sure of '85. Please remember this is for R12 so R134a would be approximately 80% of this value. In addition R134a uses different oil so your hoses had better be in GREAT shape or replaced as the R134a is "smaller" so it will leak. Of course conversions are somewhat complicated and involves MANY factors so please investigate fully!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Have you retrofitted the AC system? Meaning replaced all the O-rings with ones compatible with the r124a? If so then around 3 pounds, don't forget the oil! It slips my mind how much to add though... If you haven't retrofitted it yet then do that first. Doesn't help to replace the dryer either.. It's usually standard procedure, however as long as it is in one piece in side you can get away with leaving it in place.
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I'd do the dryer and orifice tube if the system will be open.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X