Carb to Sefi conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb to Sefi conversion?

I'm beginning to dislike carbs ( for daily driving) because: long cranking needed after car sits for couple days or when hot and car cuts out when turning tightly. So what's required to change in order to convert from carb to sefi? As I understand I will need to make a hole in the firewall for ecm obviously just as sefi underhood harness,sefi engine in tank fuel pump etc..... How about underdash wiring?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Under dash wiring? There isn't really much of that. Most of the wiring is self contained under the hood. The only stuff you're really gonna be running through the interior would be the fuel pump wiring. What you need is an EVTM from your car, and one from the donor car you're taking the harness from.

If you are running a block prior to 1986 (some 85s) and you are not changing the engine, you'll need a 1984-1985 EEC-IV CFI distributor. It's setup just like the SEFI ones with the exception of the gear on the bottom. You'll need to run new fuel lines. You will need to change the gas tank. You will need the SEFI intakes, you will need to change the tv linkage on the trans maybe. You'll need a accelerator cable from a SEFI vic. You will need a TV cable to match your new SEFI throttle body. There's probably a lot more that I'm missing. But if you're serious about doing this, I'm sure others will chime in and list what else you may need.

Comment

The gas tank may actually be the same, but the hanger plates are definitely different. If the carb tank only has one hole in it though, then you'll likely need a different tank, or maybe you can work out a way to fit in the later model pump hanger that has the fuel level sender and the pump on one plate. Don't know if the holes are differently sized or not tho.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A lot easier to get an 86 or 87 that's already SEFI and just part out your carb'd car IMO. Oh and my SEFI cars have been known to stall on sharp turns occasionally as well lol
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've done the swap successfully in my Mark VI, and it's simple. If you can wire up a stereo, you can install a 86-91 Ford SEFI setup. Everything is a bolt-on/set it in place type deal, with only 2 wires to splice into the cars wiring.

Just to add to what others have said. You will need the full TV setup from an 87-91 car (Cable/Bracket/Lever). I had to swap out the column gear shift lever setup as well (the one that bolts onto the DS frame rail next the the tranny) to one from an '87 Merc, because the TV Cable Bracket would not fit correctly into the stock '80 shift lever setup.

The fuel tank is not the same, so you will need an 86+ SEFI tank. Since I have a Digital Fuel Gauge. I had to swap the Digital Fuel Level sender into mine, but it fits in the exact same place as the analog sender does on the old carb tanks, and the hole is the same size. The Fuel Level sender and Fuel Pickup are combined on the old Carb cars, so I had to cut off the bottom of the pickup so it wouldn't bottom out on the SEFI Tank, which has a raised section right there where it sits. It now works perfectly. Since you have an analog gauge in your LTD, you can probably just use the 86-91 SEFI analog sender, and not worry about that anyway though. Fuel Lines have to be modified as well, you can go many different routes with that, (I kept and modified the stock lines myself), and you will have to find a spot for the large SEFI Fuel Filter to be mounted to, as your car will not have one.

Interestingly enough, My '80 LTD 2dr w/ 302 VV does not have a hole in the Firewall for an ECM to pass through, but my '80 MKVI which was 351 VV from the factory does. The small notches where in the wrong place to fit a mustang ECM though, so I had to grind the notches into the correct place on the opening. Not hard to do, just in an awkward spot to try and get a dremel into. You could easily cut an opening into your firewall for the ECM though, could even be cut with a Dremel, as the metal is fairly thin there. Just make sure you get it marked in the exact right spot before you start cutting.

Those are the only hangups of the whole swap. Swapping in the new motor is the only hard part, but if your not doing that, then there is nothing to be scared of here with this whole swap.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
            Interestingly enough, My '80 LTD 2dr w/ 302 VV does not have a hole in the Firewall for an ECM to pass through, but my '80 MKVI which was 351 VV from the factory does.
            The reason you have the hole is because the 80 Mark Series was also available with the 302 with CFI...

Comment

Yea, I know. Mine even had the fuel pump wiring already there, so I didn't have to run any wires back to the pump, just tapped into the stock wiring harness that was hidden on the trunk shelf, and up inside the dash on the other end. They must have had the same harness for all the models and just stuffed the unused wiring away. Thought it might have had a CFI 302 in there originally, but mine is one of the rare original 351w equipped models though, the VIN confirms it for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X