X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel level sensor question?

Hi--

Quick question.
    Last summer I diagnosed a bad fuel guage. It never read more than 3/4 full --sometimes it might go to 7/8, for a short period of time-- but the last 5 gallons it would dutifully count down from, and still semi-accurately signaled empty.
    Testing resistance values across the terminals going into the fuel tank showed slightly high compared to textbook ohms, but an even spread from full, to empty, and a value or two in between, hence it must be the gauge.
    Can't be the wiring, that would be high resistance consistently.
    Can't be a sunken float, that would be, well, sunken, consistently.
    Couldn't even be a stuck float, physically hanging up and unable to float higher than 3/4 full, because then I wouldn't have gotten the correct resistance value for a full tank when I measured it: I would have gotten lower (for a 3/4 full tank) and then the same value again at 3/4.

I bought a used instrument cluster, and owing to reasons 100% due to personal laziness, only just installed it tonight.
    I filled up the tank to test, I got to add about 12-13 gallons, and, damn-- still showed about 1/2 a tank or a little more.
    I drove to a sandwhich shop a mile and a half down the road from the gas station, had my supper, got out again and started the car, and NOW it shows full.

Is it normal delay due to the "anti slosh module" to take a couple miles to register the full tank, or should it have registered immediately after fill up?
    Might I be looking at a a sticking something in the fuel level sensor in the tank?
    I will watch of course over the next 2-3 weeks to see that it counts evenly down to empty again.

Trouble is, NO ONE has a fuel level sensor for a 1990 wagon. NO ONE. New or reman, anyway. I don't trust junkyard: I'd be paying in money and in time/hassle to uninstall and reinstall into my vehicle, an electrical part, of the same 23 year age and unknown mileage.
    Unless you know a source!
    Or know for a fact that a sedan sensor can be made to fit into the wagon; I've heard something was different in the mounting-- that the wagon has a separate pump and level sensor, while the sedan has the two built into one unit? The wagon tank is different, I understand.
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM.
Working...
X