Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problem

Hello,

my name is David and I live in Spain. I have a grand marquis '84 with the 5.0l engine which does not start. Has all the electrical installation of the engine rebuilt, with joints and cut wires. I've gotten it to work everything, but still does not start. Anyone could spend the ignition wiring diagram?

Thank you very much.

if all the electrical is working, verify it's getting fuel as well. If the fuel filter hasn't been changed in a few years (or never to your knowledge), change that first.

Here's the diagram I have... (click on them for a larger view)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1269319

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Some doubt, do not always understand that the fusible "hot at all times".

The wires from the ECU that I have marked below right, are negative?

The solenoids that are within the large circle, where is located in the engine?
      Attached Files

Comment

the ECM switches those to ground in order to operate them, yes.

throttle kicker lives next to the throttle body, the control solenoid is on the valve cover in the cluster of 3
        both fuel injectors are in the top of the throttle body
        air diverter and air bypass solenoids on the passenger side fender
        egr vent and egr pressure, one should be in the group of 3 solenoids on the valve cover, the other is on the fender next to the bypass and diverter solenoids. I think vent is on the valve cover, and pressure is on the fender but I may have that backwards.
        canister purge solenoid lives in the cluster of solenoids on the valve cover
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you have power to the coil in 'start'? When my 85 wouldn't start, it did have power in 'run', but not 'start'. It was the module. Just a thought.

Pete
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Hello,

After removing the air filter, have taken the injection and have a carburetor.

What system ignition I can put to eliminate the ECU?? Magneto system??

Thanks You.
            Attached Files

Comment

Can you give me a picture of your distributor? Its entirely possible someone already converted it over. The twists of random wire holding the linkages to the carb do not fill me with confidence, and that rat's nest of wires also doesn't make me smile. It also looks like the ECM is not plugged in based on the big fat plug I see hanging in space. Handily, if it is a carb model, most of that can go away but you'll have to figure out the fuel system. Its also possible this was a Canadian car, in which case it came with a carb initially. US models had a throttle body fuel injection.
              Last edited by gadget73; 05-24-2012, 05:03 PM.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hello,

Ok, tomorrow I give You a picture of distributor.

we have a program called autodata consisting of the car wiring diagrams, technical data, fault codes, etc.. Do you know of one for this car?

Comment

I don't know if they made software for these... I think they still used books back then.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Its called the Electrical Vacuum Troublshooting Manual, and its paper. Paper manuals are better anyway, no wasted electricity.

Comment

Mother of god
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

that is what you call... work in progress. you have seen the pic of the battery/solenoid area of my 88 right? Once all the stuff is wired and mapped out... then it's time to neat it up.

we should have Thain take pics of his progress on my vic. That's a ton of wires to deal with. about double what this guy is dealing with.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Slymer, sorry but I don't understand. My english isn't good and I usually need a traductor.

I leave a picture of the distributor and the battery.

I would like install other ignition and distributor to remove the ECU, it's posible??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1269366Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1269365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1269364Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1269363

Comment

I was responding to the previous post.

Comment

OK so it looks like someone has installed an external carb-compatible fuel pump. That will be the item mounted on the inner fender with the hoses going to it. The distributor however is the fuel injection distributor. My best advice would be to find the ECM connector, and remove all of the wiring that comes from it. It should come out in one big lump. Once thats all gone, you'll need to find and install a carb compatible distributor. You can use either a stock Duraspark distributor, or there are GM HEI types available that fit a Ford engine which are somewhat easier to wire up. Hook that up, wire up the fuel pump, and you should be good to go. The ECM appears to be missing anyway, and without the fuel injector unit, it wouldn't really be doing much of anything useful. That distributor has no advance functions without the fuel injection, so it would not work well with a carb, though you could wire it up to operate if you really wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                              X