Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

preventing corrosion in electrical contacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preventing corrosion in electrical contacts?

Well, I've never had many electrical wiring issues in my box. Just one short; no opens, no other shorts, no high-resistance contacts.

I had my LF window motor fail on me, and I'd just replaced it 20 months ago. The original made it 20 years, so this shouldn't be normal.

I open up the door panel, check the switch (battery V at the contacts, and -battery V the other way), and proceed to replace the motor.
    Nothing. Nada. Oops.... bad motor? Check ITS resistance, I think it was like 14 ohms, so ought to be functional.

Turned out, after a bit more head scratching, that the aftermarket harness had just enough corrosion on the leads to fail to deliver the current. It showed battery voltage when I check with my 10,000,000 ohm voltmeter.
    It probably dropped precipitously when it tried to deliver battery voltage, and much more current, to my 14 ohm motor!

The contacts are a white metal (nickel? aluminum? I dunno), and had minor surface corrosion: looked dull rather than bright, like galvanized steel left in the rain for a bit of time, or an old aluminum cooking pot.
    Nothing spectacularly corroded, blooming with "green growies" or the like.

But, a new connector on the motor side did the trick, so must've been.
    The contacts even looked OK, too-- not spread or twisted, so they should have been making contact, and obviously were making some contact to show voltage, just couldn't deliver the current.

So I'm wondering if it's just a cheap dorman connector with shitty alloys that's at fault here? How would you solve it, then? Hard wire the motor with a solder joint; or mummify the connector in electrical tape...?
    Squirt silicone into the back of the connector to seal the wires from moisture at least in that direction?

I'm just worried than in another 20 months I'll be playing this game again. Maybe even with some of my other window motors, all of which have been replaced at this point.
    I noticed that my RR window motor needed help getting started up again, after I bottomed it with the switch....

I use Deoxit on my stereo contacts. D5 for cleaning, Gold for 'protection'. Good stuff. Not cheap though.

I also caught on This Old House that the electricians put some sort of goo on the ends of the main wires before they attach them to the meter box to prevent corrosion. A supply house would probably know what it is.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I put petroleum jelly on some starter contacts that were giving me grief one winter. Pulled all the suspect contacts apart, cleaned them with a wire wheel, reattached, and gooped it up.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Dielectric grease, also sold as tune-up grease. Its a non-conducting silicone grease that seals out moisture and oxygen so things don't corrode. The white gloopy stuff that you'll sometimes find in old connectors is the same sort of stuff.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I use liquid fape on some connections works great
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Dielectric grease, also sold as tune-up grease. Its a non-conducting silicone grease that seals out moisture and oxygen so things don't corrode. The white gloopy stuff that you'll sometimes find in old connectors is the same sort of stuff.
            +1
            new stuff is clear-ish. I use the permatex dielectric grease from the parts store (3oz tube)... it goes a LONG way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

doesn't dielectric mean that it IS conducting?
              Anyway, cool beans!

Door is already sealed up, but next time, next time.... Good stuff.
              Maybe I'll start squirting it into all my connectors as I reassemble them.
              But, the stuff in the engine compartment looks designed better to begin with.

Comment

any/all of the above. whatever is closest. i like to paint my battery terminals when i know they'll be on a while
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Don't forget, 'those molecules not only become polarized, but also reorient so that their symmetry axis aligns to the field' :p

Pete
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Sounds like you've been spending too much time around the audio nerds there Pete
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lol. Don't forget, getting symmetry axis right can make your stereo sound as good as magic pebbles

Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X