Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

someone who knows wagon vs. sedan fuel level sending unit differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone who knows wagon vs. sedan fuel level sending unit differences?

Hi!

I fixed my fuel gauge issue with... a fuel gauge!
    It's a good feeling, when your diagnosis is actually correct, haha.

But there's still high resistance in my sending unit, which causes it to read from say 1/8=1/4 full to 9/8-5/4 full (so that 1/8-1/4 full, is completely out of gas, I tell others driving my car to beware!) and that's not going to get better with time.
    Yes, the resistance is internal to the sending unit, not in the wiring.

I'm going to ultimately have to source a new sending unit.

I have a 1990 wagon.
    I know 1990+ has its own 1990+ dash, with 1990+ instruments, that are wholly different from 1989 and prior.
    So I need a 1990+ sending unit.

I also know that a wagon fuel tank is different from a sedan fuel tank.

What I've HEARD is that the wagon fuel tank employs an independent sending unit from the pump? Whereas the sedan uses an assembly?
    I'm unwilling to drop my tank just to find out; I won't go to the trouble until I'm ready to replace something.
    What I've heard, is that the wagon sending unit is NOT the same part as the sedan sending unit.

Can someone confirm this?
    Can someone who has seen inside both tanks, tell me if maybe a sedan sending unit can be adapted to fit on a wagon, maybe install the functional bits onto the original mounting bracket or whatever?

Because, I simply can't find the official 1990-91 wagon fuel level sending unit ANYWHERE.
    But, I can find the 1990-92 sedan sending unit/pump assembly no problem.
    so if you know if the sedan unit can work....
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM.

nevermind!

I actually found a NOS sending unit, thank god. Got to be almost the last one on the planet for a 90-91 wagon...

Comment

check the float rod when you have it out. its possible the whole issue is that the arm is bent and putting things in the wrong spot.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X