No announcement yet.

Parasitic Battery Drain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright folks, I'm pretty certain to say that whatever the drain/charge problem was is now fixed. (knock on wood) I guess the new alternator plug does a great deal in properly charging the battery. Last five times I've checked (you can never be too sure) the drain was within what it should be and the battery still had sufficient charge the next day when I left it plugged in. Well, that's definitely one less headache now.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

the "large case" is the 130A.

they have the same "ear" spacing. The pictures with the 2 alternators show the 130A on the left. That's the one you want.

You do not want the LONG ear versions, that's what really needs the different bracket.
      Last edited by sly; 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So will pretty much any V6 Taurus or Windstar have that particular alternator?

Comment

mostly... as long as it's the 3.0L, yes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I have the small case 3g 130 amp alternator. The large case ones can be upgraded to 200+ amps I believe.

Comment

So my battery goes from a drain of .02 amps to a whopping 6.10 amps (fortunately I had the battery disconnected that night). The alternator charges okay (tested the voltage while the car was running) but GOOD CHRIST what could possibly be draining 6.1 amps while the car is off?

Comment

If it helps, I got the 6.1A reading after my car had sat overnight with the battery unplugged. I'm not too familiar with how electrical current works, so I was wondering if the current "jumps" once the circuit is completed? I hadn't re-connected the negative terminal yet, but when I tested the multimeter in series with the negative terminal, it created a big spark. 6.1 seems awfully high for a battery drain, and I almost don't believe it.

Comment

initial connection load. make sure all lights are off when you do that or you will get the sparks.

Comment

I think I've said this before, but you very well may have a sticky fuel pump relay. My 89 LTC every so often I would shut the car off and could still hear the fuel pump running. In your case with this car and miles, install a battery cutoff switch and simply disconnect the battery when you are parking for an extended time. 10 buck and 10 minutes will keep your sanity until you can really dig deep and figure out what is causing the problem.

Also keep tabs on that 2G alternator plug. Another member here was just talking in another thread how his made his car catch fire. Fire=Fail!
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Fuel pump relay seems okay, I don't hear it going after the car's off. But at this point, I'm keeping my mind open to what it could be.

I got the 3G alternator at the junkyard today. It's off a '96 3.0 Taurus and there's some sort of six month guarantee on it. Not bad for $45. I also got the connectors from a Sable wagon (they threw those in for free) and tomorrow I'm getting the power cable, since it looks to be in good shape too.

Comment

Grab fuse too!

Comment

Grabbing the charge cable this afternoon along with the fuse. I have an extra 175 amp fuse just in case.

On the other hand, I'm at my whit's end with this battery drain. Car sat from 5pm until 11 this morning. There was enough power to run the clock, courtesy lights, and trunk pull-down. However the starter solenoid just made that awful clacking sound when I tried to start it up. Battery was at around 11 volts and the drain was still only .02 amps. I'm really confused by this, because .02a seems pretty normal to me. Idled the car for around 20 minutes and the battery was back at 12.4v.

I'm so confused by this. I want to get to the problem without paying a shop $65+ an hour to diagnose it and possibly not find anything.

Comment

Did you go around removing glove box lamp, underhood lamp (you are removing the underhood lamp when you are checking drain?), and trunk light to see if it had any effect on your drain? Also disconnect that auto trunk pull down also and see what happens-I don't trust stuff that has the ability to work without the key having to be 'on' to work. If you have not done that already, start with that.

Alex.

Comment

Put in a battery switch or just twist the negative terminal off and push it on and off when you need to drive or park. I know you will lose the time and station presets but while you are spending time looking for the loss, you may very well get stuck when it sucks and you are probably damaging the battery by running it down all the time.

This is only temporary until you solve the problem.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Alex - All the lights seem to shut off like they should (even the glove box light) and the under-hood light doesn't work anyways. I remember I had an issue with the passenger power seat draining the battery back when I first bought the car. The seat would try to move even when the car was off, but I disconnected the motor long ago. At this point I'm just going to have to live with disconnecting and reconnecting the battery while checking for bad wiring/loose connections.

Comment

Working...
                                X