Autodimming headlamp/ high beams don't work revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autodimming headlamp/ high beams don't work revisited

I am currently in the process of fixing my high beams on the Town Car. Mine came with the auto delay exit lighting and the autodimming headlights. The high beams will flash on when the stalk is pulled but will not stay on. I believe this is the "test" circuit that allows the high beams to flash. I have swapped photosensors on the mirror and swapped the column switch. I have swapped relays. The Hi/low beam relay clicks every time I pull the stalk. I grounded the pink wire that comes out of the hi/low beam relay to short the autodim circuit and run the high beams full time. Got a nice arch and popped something. Now no high beams or high beam indicator light, hi/low relay still clicks. all fuses and circuit breakers are good. Gotta trace down whatever I blew up, I think there is a fusible link somewhere under the hood up by the starter solenoid.. grrr so annoying
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

the autodim sensors under the mirror are all shitting the bed......... saturday gadget made the high beams work on our friend lori's 87 stars and stripes town car by removing the cooked resistor and installing a jumper......no idea if her autodim works tho, we were more concerned about making the high beams work and they do now......that was the easy part, ivan spent four hours welding up the typically rotted spot on the frame so the car wouldn't break in half.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
      the autodim sensors under the mirror are all shitting the bed......... saturday gadget made the high beams work on our friend lori's 87 stars and stripes town car by removing the cooked resistor and installing a jumper......no idea if her autodim works tho, we were more concerned about making the high beams work and they do now......that was the easy part, ivan spent four hours welding up the typically rotted spot on the frame so the car wouldn't break in half.
      Yeah, I'm going to find a way to bypass it, don't really care about the autodim just want highbeams again. Sounds like fun welding that frame, where at is the common area so I can double check mine?
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

behind the front wheels, especially passenger side. Both the inside rail and right at the front, and the seam on the inside (nearest to transmission) corner.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Just wanted to update, I fixed this issue by jumpering the two outer wires on the 4 pin connector that plugs into the photosensor on the rearview mirror.

Comment

Sweet I gotta do it to mine

Comment

Working...
            X