jammed glove box question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    I just changed my latch. I got tired of the thing not closing right and being a bitch to open. I swapped the lock portion from my original and used that with the guts of a known good glovebox latch. No problems.
    If I can get the current latch off, I will go to Home Depot and look for a small knob or something to use in it's place.

Packman

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if its time to convince someone into small foundry work to cast the latch release levers out of steel or something. Probably would cost more than its worth to do.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The "scissor" part you could make yourself with some patience, rivet, and a file. As it is, its made from cheap pot metal and just waiting for an excuse to break a leg. And when it does, only one catch will release. And thats where some brute force comes in while you try to see which catch is not releasing.

Red circle is the missing leg of the "scissor", that leg sits in a slot in the catch itself (greenish backwards L pointing it out). Green arrows are where the thumb latches press against the scissor to uncatch the latch. The spring sits between each catch and keeps things shut. That little pot metal "scissor" gets to work against rather firm spring pressure, and it is the typical, When-not If it will break.

Alex.
        Attached Files

Comment

Not that I'm normally in the habit of dredging up ancient threads, but.... Ugh, I finally got to experience this myself. I guess after 27 years, I shouldn't complain. I am complaining, but I shouldn't.

Found the "scissors" in a junkyard car, put it all back together, but managed to break the plastic outer cover (with the vinyl/leather looking pattern, item to the farthest right in Alex's pic). Broke into only two pieces, though, so I could put the upper part back and it all holds together.

It lasted 2 weeks. I think both scissor levers broke this time. Then again, I did pull that stuff out of the TWO junkyard cars I found that had it. I suspect they were older than mine. Fortunately, I have another set, but the whole brute-force method of opening things makes me CRINGE...

Still, does anyone make this thing new? And, if so, how do I swap my lock-cylinder over to the new one?
          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

and I've been pondering the possibility of making an aero or even whale type latch work in one. Pondering it... no actual work towards making one fit since mine still works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by King_V View Post
              Still, does anyone make this thing new? And, if so, how do I swap my lock-cylinder over to the new one?
              I was able to get a new glove box lock off of eBay. I only swapped over the scissors and kept everything else original in my lock. It's been a couple of months and haven't had any problems with it.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

If you squeeze the latch when you shut it, then release, the scissors hold up better. It seems to be the shock of them popping back out tht breaks them. Thats actually a part that someone into small home foundry work could make easily out of aluminum or zinc if they were so inclined. Brass would even work.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X