Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery disconnect switch (trying to be creative here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery disconnect switch (trying to be creative here)

Hey everyone, I still haven't figured out the source of the battery drain yet but I'm reaching a point where I won't have the time to sit and figure it out. Lately I've just been disconnecting the battery when the car is in use (don't care about radio presets anyways) and reconnecting it later on. However, I'm concerned that all this tightening and loosening of the negative terminal will wear it out and I'll have to replace it on a regular basis.

I've heard that battery disconnect switches can be made so you cut off juice from the battery with one flip of a switch. Having a disconnect switch will give me peace of mind anyways since during the college semester I don't drive my car much and it sometimes sits for a few days. However, I was wondering if there's any way the switch could be routed into the cabin, like underneath the dashboard, so I could simply get in the car, flip the switch, and be ready to go. Any suggestions on how this could be done?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

I 'm sure you can find one http://www.google.com/search?q=batte...w=1024&bih=605

all you really need to do is get extra long 4 gauge battery cable then run in to the car. battey to cutoff switch switch to fender mounted solenoid just find a switch you like and install and go

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

That's what I was thinking of doing. I was just worried that the extra lengths of cable would create resistance. Do I also need to install some sort of fuse?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

you might need a fuse I not a 100 percent sure

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

why dont you use one of those cutoff switch race cars use?
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

something like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...thco_6280536-p

or this... http://compare.ebay.com/like/1109538...Types&var=sbar

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You dont need to run heavy cable to a switch. you just need a switch between the couple of regular wires running from the fuse box, to the solenoid. I belive there is two or three.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Hey that's right disconnect all the other wires from the battery lug on the starter relay except the battery cable. Use your interior switch to reconnect. It will still need to be able to handle full amp. flow from the alt. though. So don't go smaller then the alt.'s own charge wire.
                sigpic
                89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

yea and if your worried about radio presets, run a constant fused wire from the battery or your switch, to the radio.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I have to say from personal experience with both of those no......
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      I have to say from personal experience with both of those no......
                      http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/741...FYuZ4AodGSkAiA

Just curious -- I was actually thinking of buying one of those switches that you recommend against (the one with the little wheel that you twist). So, what's wrong with it -- why do you recommend against it? Thanks beforehand for the info.

Comment

Working...
                      X