Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GM 302 EFI with ATC

Greetings!

My shop manual does not show pictures of the heater hoses on the car, only generic car with carb.
    I am attempting to find out how many heater hoses the car has, and where they are..............no luck looking on line:-(

I have been told the car has four hoses, is this correct?

Any pictures greatly appreciated!

yes and no. There is one at the front from the water pump to the pipe running under the intake. There are 3 in the back, but one of them you make by buying the hose and cutting it for the ATC sensor if its still there. One hose goes from the pipe to the sensor, one from sensor to heater core, and the other from heater core back to the pipe. That sensor often fails and causes the floor position to not work. I usually just delete it.

The 86 manuals are a bit sketchy. Mine also show carb or CFI pictures, which is not what it has of course. 87 used different plumbing, so you're a bit SOL for certain details that are 86-specific.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OMG!.........I have that very problem....in floor position the blower motor stops! I have to play with the lever to get the blower motor to engage...is there a place I can actually see the hose routing?
      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yes and no. There is one at the front from the water pump to the pipe running under the intake. There are 3 in the back, but one of them you make by buying the hose and cutting it for the ATC sensor if its still there. One hose goes from the pipe to the sensor, one from sensor to heater core, and the other from heater core back to the pipe. That sensor often fails and causes the floor position to not work. I usually just delete it.

The 86 manuals are a bit sketchy. Mine also show carb or CFI pictures, which is not what it has of course. 87 used different plumbing, so you're a bit SOL for certain details that are 86-specific.

Comment

Is the ATC sensor under the dash pad?....I replaced that about 4 yrs ago when the car produced no heat.

Comment

the ATC Ambient Temp sensor is under the dash (it's what the temp cable attaches to with a few vacuum lines as well). The blower cutout is the thermal sensor on the heater core hose and is used to keep the blower from freezing your feet in the winter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Guess I have too pull the plenum assembly?

Comment

no, but it does make getting at those rear hoses a little easier. Also its the perfect excuse to replace the valve cover gaskets if they leak, replace the vacuum lines, and service the PCV parts which are almost always ignored.

To fix the floor problem, jumper the electrical connection on the thermal blower lockout. I'd also seal off the vacuum hoses and just toss the whole works. The aftermarket ones aren't made real well and I don't believe you can get a new OEM one anymore.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On a '87 the ATC Sensor is under the dashpad.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Ok I have to admit it.........this job could not have been done without the air wrachet........it took over 4 hours to change out all the heater hoses, the rocker cover gaskets, vac lines........the EGR outer gasket is NLA.....so had to make one up.....checked all and no leaks...the only thing I had to purchase was a water pump by-pass hose........forgot to order one the plenum was a beech due to frozen bolts:-(
                  no, but it does make getting at those rear hoses a little easier. Also its the perfect excuse to replace the valve cover gaskets if they leak, replace the vacuum lines, and service the PCV parts which are almost always ignored.

To fix the floor problem, jumper the electrical connection on the thermal blower lockout. I'd also seal off the vacuum hoses and just toss the whole works. The aftermarket ones aren't made real well and I don't believe you can get a new OEM one anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X