Early EEC III CFI to EEC IV Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early EEC III CFI to EEC IV Conversion

Me and John Sexton are converting my mark vi to sefi i Need to know what exactly Needs to be done for the swap. Donor vehicle is going to be a 1988 Town Car with the digi dash my mark has the digi dash also any wires that need to be hooked up i know my fuel flow wire on eec iii pin 15 taps into pin 34 on eeci iv anything need to be done with the vss ?.also I have standalone cruise on the mark 88 uses integrated cruise which i dont want to convert onto the mark i want to keep the standalone cruise. Any tips and stuff i need to know ?

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

its John Sexton and I.......and you should do your home work before doing a swap. and i agree with the other carb swap it and get it home first. just a thouaght.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
      its John Sexton and I.......and you should do your home work before doing a swap. and i agree with the other carb swap it and get it home first. just a thouaght.
      OK, so you nazi him on that and no capitalization and spelling errors. Yeah. Fail.

I thought there were a few good CFI to EFI swap threads around.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why would you want to carb swap it to get it home. You may as well just tow it.

I assume it needs to be roadworthy, so you can take it home Matt?

Get the car home running and then worry about little details like the cruise and digital dash wiring.

Also, I hope to God you aren't planning on driving it on those tires. Even in a picture they look like May Pops.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...FI-to-EFI-Swap Look a sticky!
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I plan getting new tires for it. Needs exhaust it leaks so its getting the same setup as the town car

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

you need to connect VSS signal into the 88 ECM or the EGR acts stupid. Pull the wires out that go to the cruise since you don't need them. They won't hurt anything, but theres no point in having the extra connector hanging about. Need to figure out the fuel pump situation too. Some EEC3 cars used dual pumps. No idea if yours does or not. I *think* the dual pumps ought to feed enough to run a multiport gig but verify. If they do not, expect plumbing work to fit a later in-tank pump and remove the external frame mounted pump. Most of the rest ought to be the same as EEC4 CFI to SEFI. I will strongly advise you replace the timing chain. EEC3 will run fine on a bad chain until the engine blows up when the chain jumps but EEC4 will not. itll still blow up, but it won't run good either.

Honestly, my 2 cents would be to leave it the hell alone. FResh gas and a tuneup will probably get it running properly. If you want to go multiport, put in a motor that will move out of it's own way. Thats a lot of work to make 140 horsepower start easier.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It feels like its not getting enough fuel at the moment. We gave it a tune up new fuel filter, new rotor and cap
                New wires and spark plugs, new coil and starter solenoid. What does the cfi cars psi for fuel pressure should be ?

Comment

probably around 40 psi.

check the vacuum lines and make sure the EGR valve doesn't have a nugget of crap under it that might be hanging it open. They don't run worth a damn if that happens.

new filter, but how old is the gas? If its old, it will not burn worth a crap. Ethanol fuel will phase seperate and the junk at the bottom is mostly water. Non-ethanol fuel just turns into this varnish-like substance that smells foul.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    OK, so you nazi him on that and no capitalization and spelling errors. Yeah. Fail.

I thought there were a few good CFI to EFI swap threads around.
                    i was actually,just being funny lols i know i spell horriable and then some. i do however think its always good to do homework on any project, just too many variables if something goes wrong. kudos for finding the sticky. Matt i hope you get it up and running looks like it can be a real nice machine for ya.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Fresh gas was added into it since it had no gas in it. I will have to check the egr valve it might be clogged.
                      Also the eec iii computee is held in by 2 8mm bolts to the ecm bracket does that mean the ecm case has a specific ground to it
                      Once it is bolted to the bracket the case it grounded ?.

Comment

If your doing all this work in a junkyard just to get it somewhat running enough to get home just find a friggin Explorer motor instead. Do you even know if the engine in there is any good? Didn't you say this car had a bunch of hacked up wires before?
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          If your doing all this work in a junkyard just to get it somewhat running enough to get home just find a friggin Explorer motor instead. Do you even know if the engine in there is any good? Didn't you say this car had a bunch of hacked up wires before?
                          harnesses have been swapped already with the donor mark. Motor is fine sounds healthy doesnt knock.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            probably around 40 psi.

check the vacuum lines and make sure the EGR valve doesn't have a nugget of crap under it that might be hanging it open. They don't run worth a damn if that happens.

new filter, but how old is the gas? If its old, it will not burn worth a crap. Ethanol fuel will phase seperate and the junk at the bottom is mostly water. Non-ethanol fuel just turns into this varnish-like substance that smells foul.
                            This gas is fresh. There was no gas in the tank when we started. He added about 5 gallons. And that came out of the filter did not smell as bad as the shit that I just took out of Scott's fuel filter on the towny.

Comment

Working...
                            X