Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mark viii fan: flex-a-lite 31165, or better options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mark viii fan: flex-a-lite 31165, or better options?

I installed a flex-a-lite 31165 about 3 years ago. It's broken now.
    I can replace it ($160!! I think it was cheaper 3 years ago...), or I can look at other options. At least replacing is a direct swap, anyway, without having to rethink any wiring.
    But just curious before I hand over cash-- are there any better options that have popped up since? I can upgrade if someone's making a sturdier and hopefully longer-lived controller today.

you can use that controller to run a V6 contour/cougar fan. You'll have to rejig the mounts probably, but that should work fine. Typically find those cheap in yards or buy new from RockAuto for under $100 last time I looked. (just checked... $94.79) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...556&cc=1363968

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you misunderstood-- the CONTROLLER is broken (not the fan)

OK I borrowed a voltmeter and checked the purple (ground), yellow (hot), and of course the wire from the AC unit since that's what I'm using to force the unit on. I now have a lot more info now than just a good guess...

The problem is that there must be an internal short. both the purple and the yellow wires (negative and positive) are getting fed voltage! I unwired the motor and touched it directly to the battery-- it works. So of course 12V and 12V = no voltage differential to run the motor

...is there any REASON why I need to ground through the controller? Or is it perfectly reasonable to save $160 by leaving the purple wire unhooked, and wiring the ground directly to chassis ground, leaving only the still-functional yellow wire hooked to positive? Or does the controller execute the soft-start feature by modulating resistance on the ground side? ...and if it does require the ground for soft start, I DID install a capacitor (that wasn't the problem) to jump-start the fan anyway, so maybe I'd be ok without that feature.

Alternatively, maybe I can risk opening up the controller and maybe I'll find the problem? As I said, turns out that somehow the ground is also feeding 12V to the fan motor, as well as the hot, so of course, no spinning fan.

Comment

I'll call flex-a-lite tomorrow too; though there's a chance naturally that they'll steer me towards a new $160 controller no matter what.

Think just re-routing the ground will be an effective kludge?
        Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I just had one other crazy thought. What if the flex-a-lite modulates fan speed BY changing the voltage on the ground? Perhaps the temp sensor is broken?
          Wait, no, 'cause it would still come on with the AC. nevermind.

But if it does still work that way, it means that by wiring the ground directly I'd lose all modulation. It would just be full-throttle all the time. Is that a problem? Is it a problem worth $160 to fix over having a single-speed fan?

Comment

probably the temp control is fried and the AC relay is working. The ground is probably for the modulation logic (it probably just uses a BIG FAT transistor that uses a gain amp from the temp sensor to drive it). If you don't mind wiring up stuff... you can use the cheapo controllers and set up a two stage controller with two of them set at different temp triggers and just wire the AC line through a diode to the low side trigger and over to the high side as well (also with a diode) and a capacitor of about 25v/5000uF or so between the trigger and ground of the relay for a "soft start" (kinda like running the sequential lights with a capacitor in it to delay the next light).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

When you have the capacitor hooked up, what size resistor would you need to be able to disconnect/replace the battery? The capacitor would need to be charged somewhat before putting the fuse back in correct?

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
              1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
              88 CVLX
              01 Marquis

Comment

Not typically. They can discharge much faster than they can charge, so it's usually ok unless you're running less than 60A fuses.

Comment

I'll see what's in there if it is less than 60, then what.

Previously:
                  88 CVLX
                  01 Marquis

Comment

Try it anyhow. If it's a 3farad or less it should be fine.

Comment

Yea its 3 farad

Previously:
                      88 CVLX
                      01 Marquis

Comment

Working...
                      X