EGR as source of bad mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR as source of bad mileage?

My car has been getting 12-15mpg in mixed driving (a lot of windy country roads but few stop signs). I noticed that one of the three bolts on the EGR valve/sensor/whatever you call it is missing. I'm guessing it's a nut on a stud, since the stud seems to be broken off too. This means that there is a gap between the plastic and metal (2nd pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140601_124946_685.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1301392 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140601_124938_710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1301393

Thinking about it now, this might explain my gas mileage. I pulled a code months ago that had something to do with the EGR (code 34?) that would explain a lot. Since the problem seems to be with the stud being broken, should I just grab a replacement from the junkyard and throw it on there? Or can I just replace the stud?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

No, the stud is welded on. That's just for the sensor anyways, and as long as the o ring is sealing it should be fine.

EGR has very little effect on gas mileage.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If its causing a vacuum leak, it won't help you any but otherwise it really should not have a significant effect. Working egr vs non-working EGR might be good for a half mpg on the highway. You'd barely notice it unless you really did some testing with and without it hooked up. I would fix it though just because I like things to work. 15 with mixed driving sounds about normal.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sad to say but i'm with gadget, it's normal.
        I was so so optimistic when I got my baby and I got 24mpg first trip! Well, that was on a spring day, going 4 hours downhill in a continuous long haul.

Once I started commuting 3-5 miles, in winter... Oooo like 10mpg.
        Also, putting on truck tires, even though they are pirellis (craigslist special! don't judge), was a terrible idea for fuel economy. Shaved 2mpg right there.

Comment

Yeah the people that say they get 35mpg with these cars are on crack.

Comment

Originally posted by mobydick View Post
            Yeah the people that say they get 35mpg with these cars are on crack.
            To quote Al Gore, "They mis-spoke"!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I was getting 14mpg in my car when I had no vacuum going to the egr. I fixed and cleaned everything and lately I've been seeing around 19mpg with daily driving... Are you guys sure the EGR doesn't do a lot for fuel economy because mine definitely went up.
              Last edited by slack; 06-02-2014, 11:44 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I am on the same boat, I think I am having issues with my EGR, b/c the mileage is 19-20 with 80-85% mostly highway driving (75 mile commute)
                "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

19-20 on the highway is pretty good in my opinion.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                  2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                  2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I also have the 34 code (first 22, then 134-can't find what its for unknown, then 34)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

20 with 85% highway? Thats about as good as you can realistically expect to get. Maybe with very careful throttle control you can eek that out to 21-22 but I wouldn't count on it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I got 28.5 once out of my '88 LTD w/true duals (no crossover h or x) & 4 12's & 1000w amp in the trunk.

Of course that was with 2.83/2.73 gears, no trak-loc, & cruise set at 55. From Canton, Oh area to up in the hills west of Charleston, WV, so it wasn't all flat/downhill.

Made it down AND back on the same tank of gas, and there were like 22 miles on trip odo already. Was showing 420 when I pulled into the gas station in the old hometown.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                        Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

That is remarkable.

ALthough I know I can do better. I had an 87 ford corwn vic two door, when i lived in VA, commute back home to NJ from VA I usually got 25-27 MPG. And this was of me doing60-65mph

Also I had a code 34 which has something to do with the EGR.....

I know...KNOW these cars can do 21+ EASY

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            20 with 85% highway? Thats about as good as you can realistically expect to get. Maybe with very careful throttle control you can eek that out to 21-22 but I wouldn't count on it.

Many tens of thousands of highway miles later with wagon in top tune on AVID high performance tires, lightly loaded (500 pounds?) 19 to 21. Better on methanol free gas.

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                              I was getting 14mpg in my car when I had no vacuum going to the egr. I fixed and cleaned everything and lately I've been seeing around 19mpg with daily driving... Are you guys sure the EGR doesn't do a lot for fuel economy because mine definitely went up.
                              Maybe 1-2 mpg at most.

My POS winter beater wagon w/ 3.55's and 260k miles still gets 24+ on the highway. I just checked the mileage last week as I haven't been keeping track, 19.9 with a 40/60 mix city/highway. I also drive it like it's stolen.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X