No announcement yet.

slurping sound coming from back of stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked thwe oil and even though its about 3k to change the oil it is a dirty brown/amber color. I will send pics, what other signs should I look for?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

ive always likend it to maple syrup almost, trans fluid smells somewhat similar when burning on cats, only reason i know is some tared used a cork gasket on the trans pan in the mustang
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

maple syrup, ...ok and what is that smell supposed to be?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

your oil is fine. The sweet smell you speak of... if it's exhaust smell that goes away in a few minutes... that's probably the rich fuel smell from the cats doing their job and the engine doing it's job of warming up the engine by running rich. If you get high flow cats like I have on my cars... that smell tends to be there regardless of how long the car has been running. That or my car just runs a little rich (which would explain my lack of gas mileage compared to many others here... I always figured it was just my right foot syndrome).

if it smells like antifreeze (if that's leaking, it'll maintain that smell) in the exhaust, and since you don't see any in the oil, I would bet on the EGR spacer gasket leaking and just bypassing the cooling lines to the EGR spacer (actually used to help warm up the engine faster) will fix that one. You also won't see any leaks with that and will just be loosing coolant slowly.

whatever the smell is, pop the cap on the radiator and take a whiff... if it's not the same smell, it's not coolant. If the smell is coolant and it's not coming from the exhaust, but rather from the vents in the car... then you probably have a leaking heater core. (this sucks - dash removal required to change)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown sly, I had the heating core replaced not too long ago, this past summer

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

hopefully it's not already leaking. If you're smelling coolant in the cab, check the hose connections. I had to retighten the clamps on my heater hoses some time after changing mine out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

NO, i don't smell coolant in the cab at all, i inspected the connections going to the firewall (hoses), saw not wetness there

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

How much coolant are you losing? (i.e. how often do you have to top it off and how much do you add?)

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                  2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                  2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

this was the first time I had to top it off since I flushed the system, and I blieve that was last fall (this past fall)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

How much did you need to add?

Comment

Oh sorry, I thought I mentioned this probably. Not even 8 ounces

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

It's possible that after you added all the new fluid following the flush, it got to circulate through the entire cooling system as well as the heater core during the winter, causing the level in the overflow tank to drop. That's pretty normal for these cars. My car has different markings on the tank for hot and cold.

Comment

Last time I had a hose spring a leak, it emptied 3/4 of the overflow tank in 10 minutes of driving.

Comment

wow!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I didn't check my radiator at all in over 2 years since I replaced it... needed to add about half a gallon. Wasn't getting any heat in the cab unless I was revving a little. evaporation out via the recovery tank is normal. This is why this needs to be up to the cold line at least before going places. typically add a little each season. I just neglected mine and let it get low.

Comment

Working...
                                X