Installing an aftermarket temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing an aftermarket temp gauge

Since my 89 does not have a temperature gauge on the dash how do i go about buying a aftermarket one and installing it?

build or buy a guage pod, run the copper tubing out to where the factory sending unit is, replace factory sending unit with one that usually comes with the guage. sunpro has instructions on adding the guage and most gauges also have a instruction manual with them as well. gauges come in electrical and mechanical varients.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Finally got my gauge and everything looks good... but having a issue finding a way to run the wire from the inside to the outside lol any tips?

Comment

I usually poke it through the huge grommet around the bunch of wires near the driver side fender on the firewall and then goop ultra-black on it to seal it back up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sounds good! last question.. any ideas where to install the light wires. obviously somewhere that won't be powered on all day

Comment

I think it is light blue/red for the instrument panel lights. Should be easy to find coming out of the fuse box.
            sigpic
            89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

I used the dimmer line going to the instrument cluster... but then I had the dash half torn up at the time and that made it easy to find all the right wires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIv5W-bTF7Yinstalled temp gauge today! everything looked good no leaking and engine temps stayed around 190-200 but once i got home from test driving it i get this problem... any ideas would be appreciated i got it to start i couple of times by playing with the battery and even reinstalled the old temp gauge thinking that was the issue... nope now i have a no start and the engine does not turn over only makes this noise!

Comment

Sounds like your starter bendix is missing the flexplate. Just a coincidence, nothing your gauge could have caused.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

pulled the starter off here are a few pictures Click image for larger version

Name:	103_2877.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1274572Click image for larger version

Name:	103_2878.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1274573Click image for larger version

Name:	103_2880.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1274574 so i take it i will need a new starter? how does the flywheel look? i am a little worried i might have caused some damage because i kept trying to start it
                    Last edited by extortion00; 06-20-2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

flywheel looks a little chewed, but it's fine. There's not much damage at all. I've seen ones with 1/3 of the teeth missing (as in the tooth chewed through that for, not a third of the teeth missing) and still work fine. Yes, new starter time it is.

get the starter for a 91 vic/mgm. It'll be the mini starter. They use less power to start than the direct drive ones. They are also sealed and will not have issues with oil leaks (what killed the starter on my 88).

Comment

that makes me feel a little better lol
                        Last edited by extortion00; 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

great advice!!! thank you.. should i get some brake cleaner and also spray the flywheel to clean it up some or leave it alone? ohh and will the 91 bolt up exactly the same as the oem part for the 88? again thank you

Comment

the 91 will bolt up exactly the same... that's why I used it on my 88. You shoulnd't need to use any chemicals on the flywheel. Just use a rag and wipe off any chunks. beware of metal splinters when wiping though.

Comment

You're one of the greatest on this forum.. just saying i appreciate your help and this forums help otherwise i would have no clue of what the hell to do

Comment

Working...
                              X