Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blown fusible link.. interior electronics affected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown fusible link.. interior electronics affected.

Tried to post this on CVN, but I have not received much of a response.

One of my fusible links attached to the starter solenoid blew earlier today. After I finished washing my car. I figured it was probably just damaged insulation and water generating a short, so I replaced the fusible link with another and it blew same as the last. I must have a short or some electrical damage somewhere.

The fusible link seems to feed power to my interior bits such as cabin lighting, headlights, hood light, running lights, and stereo.

The windows, AC blower motor, and brake lights still work fine.

Are there any obvious places to start looking? I'll attach pictures of the blown link. It seems to lead to a wire that's black/white or black/pink or black/orange or something -- I can't tell because it's such a light color.

I have a wiring diagram in my Haynes manual that doesn't seem to make sense. I found one online that seems to suggest the wire in question leads to most of the affected components. Also, I noticed that the new fusible link only blew once the vehicle was being started -- I tested it in accessory mode and it seemed fine for the few moments I had it going. I'm going to repair the connection again tomorrow after removing every fuse in my fuse box to see if I can narrow the culprit down. Any other advice?
    Attached Files

I can tell it's probably a box, but what year/model are we working with here? Looks like you also have some subs going (nice fat shiny blue wire). Shorts are a PITA to trace... also, if the interior fuses are not blowing but the fuse link is, there is probably an issue between the fuse link and the fuse box (probably under the hood and not in the cabin).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Crap. I have my car info in my sig on CVN -- totally slipped my mind. It's a 1987 two door Grand Marquis with 108k miles. I was thinking it might be under the hood because the fuses themselves weren't tripping, but I wasn't using my head I guess. I'll inspect the under-hood wiring first.

And yes, I do have a stereo. It's all powered through amplifiers (subs AND interior speakers) -- the head unit shouldn't be putting much stress on that wiring circuit, but I could be wrong. I'll give it a looksie if I hit a dead end.

Comment

yea, I doubt the amps are part of the problem. I was just noting the shiny in the picture.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X