Wire/Cable Sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire/Cable Sizing?

I liken this question to exhaust tube sizing questions. Those two (orange/black) charge wires on our 2G alternators; what would be their equivalent if they were joined into one wire?

Packman

If you know the gauges of those two wires, here's a calculator that allows you to determine the combined gauge:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

must remember to bookmark that when I get home.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I guess I gotta figure that one out. I wonder if my father can determine the gauge by sight (he has very good eyes)? I was curious as to how much of an upgrade 4 gauge cable is over the 2 orange/black wires. I know that I have read on here in numerous posts that those 2 charge wires can burn after a while.

Packman

Comment

the original wires are 10 gauge I think. Effective gauge is 7 by that calculator. so 4 gauge would definitely be a good upgrade.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            the original wires are 10 gauge I think. Effective gauge is 7 by that calculator. so 4 gauge would definitely be a good upgrade.
            Thanks SLY

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
              If you know the gauges of those two wires, here's a calculator that allows you to determine the combined gauge:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html
              link is dead... new link at the way back machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20120617...alculator.html

also mirroring on my server just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                I guess I gotta figure that one out. I wonder if my father can determine the gauge by sight (he has very good eyes)? I was curious as to how much of an upgrade 4 gauge cable is over the 2 orange/black wires. I know that I have read on here in numerous posts that those 2 charge wires can burn after a while.

Packman
                If you work with something enough you quickly recognize it.

What you also need to remember with the original charge wires is that there is a fusable link in each wire, wired to protect a 65amp alternator. You now have 130 amp potentially flowing, and with that you need to augment what is there.

Alex.

Comment

The general rule is that two of a particular gauge become 2 wire sizes larger. Thats not exact, but close enough. A pair of 10 awg is an 8 awg by that rule. By actual wire size, its 7 awg. Basically, the rule is close enough without getting you into trouble.

For what its worth, I once tried a single chunk of 8awg from alternator to battery. It got slightly warm to the touch when charging. I think I have 6 awg in there now with a 175 amp fuse. That was the stock value on a Taurus with a 130 amp, so I figure its good enough.

Running fuses in parallel is a bad idea. Say the stock is 75 amps. Running another 75 across it does not predictably give you 150 amps of fuse capacity. Chances are about zero that they will have precisely the same characteristics. The actual current flow through any given fuse will partly depend on wire resistance as well. Basically it gets too damn complicated to figure out with enough precision for my liking. Run one wire with one fuse and you know what you have.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X