Hi I'm new and please help me with my wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm new and please help me with my wires

Hi, I'm new and I just bought my 1988 Grand Marquis a few weeks ago. After doing a bunch of work patching the heater box (previous owner's nephew went at it like an animal to replace the heater core and patched it with duct tape and cut up antifreeze jugs) I'm left with some plugs that don't go anywhere. There's a 14 pin black connector, a 6 pin blue connector and a tan/red wire. If anyone can tell me what these were for that would be amazing.

Also, what is the black box that mounts around the bottom of the glove box? I disconnected it with the engine running and nothing happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1302485Click image for larger version

Name:	Black 3.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1302486

Name:	Wires 122.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1302487Click image for larger version

Name:	Wires 128.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1302488

Name:	Wires 129.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1302489Click image for larger version

Name:	Wires 124.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1302490

The black one looks like the connector for the aero climate controls. Since you have an 88, I'm at a total loss as to what that connector is even doing there. Mine doesn't have it. I'll try to remember to peek under my dash later and see if I can find anything. Note that some connectors were empty due to options not installed. Also, if you could better represent where each one is located (I'm guessing all behind the glove box), that would help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The black box below the glove box door might be a relay for illuminated entry (if your car is equipped with that)

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Yeah they're all behind the glove box door. I think the wire may have come from one of these connectors but I'm not sure.

Comment

Hm, I wonder how many things he broke before realizing you can't get the heater core out of the car that way. Or at least not without doing a major hackjob that probably takes longer to do than removing the core the correct way.

Do those cables from from somewhere in the dash, or out of the kick panel area? There are usually a bunch of plugs down there behind the kick panel. If yours are coming from dashboard side, pull the panel out and see if there are any un-mated plugs hanging out behind it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Hm, I wonder how many things he broke before realizing you can't get the heater core out of the car that way. Or at least not without doing a major hackjob that probably takes longer to do than removing the core the correct way.

Do those cables from from somewhere in the dash, or out of the kick panel area? There are usually a bunch of plugs down there behind the kick panel. If yours are coming from dashboard side, pull the panel out and see if there are any un-mated plugs hanging out behind it.
            You should see it, most of the plastic is gone. I'll check behind the kick panel again in the morning and yeah, they come from under the dash.

Comment

Working...
            X