Blinker Wiring Pinched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinker Wiring Pinched

I'm considering purchasing a boxy '85 Marquis, fine shape family owned well maintained and all that, but it has a bit of an issue that concerns me.

Not long ago the owner had the car sent to a shop to have the steering column tightened up, after this he could never get the blinkers to turn on.
    The blinker lights don't turn on and stay on like in other reports, they won't turn on at all!

So I've been wondering if this would be an easy repair or a difficult one? Hopefully the shop didn't screw up anything else (What shop screws up a car this basic?)

they probably knocked the harness half-off the multifunction switch or broke all the clips and put it back together as best as they could so it would work that day and get it out the door. The other possibility is they shorted something and a fuse is popped.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      they probably knocked the harness half-off the multifunction switch or broke all the clips and put it back together as best as they could so it would work that day and get it out the door. The other possibility is they shorted something and a fuse is popped.
      I've been told that the fuse is still good, it'd be nice if it was just a short though. If I were the owner I'd demand a refund.

I'll be looking at the car this Saturday and I'll be able to determine whats going on. If the harness got knocked off, would that be a tricky or easy fix?

That aside I've been told the cars in good shape, your usual old mans special.

Comment

barring damaged wires, just plug stuff back in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          barring damaged wires, just plug stuff back in.
          That'd be nice if thats all that it was, how do you get the steering column covers off? Torx?

Comment

Phillips head screws and the collar right behind the steering wheel pulls off from the left

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
            2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
            2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
              Phillips head screws and the collar right behind the steering wheel pulls off from the left

Should be simple then, thank you for the advice.

Comment

needs to be a #2 phillips with at least an inch of reach before any widening of the shaft. Socket style drivers will not work.

Comment

Alright, turns out this car needs a little more tlc, the shift marker is off at times (in a higher gear than the marker says), the wiper switch needs to be replaced, the blower motors are bad, and the plastic air-filter hose has holes in it.

So just more elbow grease, but i need help, how do you fix the shift marker when its out of sync?

Comment

See if the plastic collar that clamps the shift indicator cable on is broken. Its a white band, visible from the bottom side of the column behind the wiper switch. If its split, use a zip tie to hold it together and adjust it till the indicator lines up.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      See if the plastic collar that clamps the shift indicator cable on is broken. Its a white band, visible from the bottom side of the column behind the wiper switch. If its split, use a zip tie to hold it together and adjust it till the indicator lines up.
                      Will do, thank you for the speedy response too. Chances are when the column was adjusted the shifter was taken out of position.

Comment

Few more bugs I need to fix, the wiper stalk doesn't stay in place right, and apparently the car eats coolant pretty quickly, supposedly its done this ever since it left the dealership.

Comment

Cars do not eat coolant unless there is a problem. could be simple, or difficult.

I suggest you search around here for a bit on similar issues first, then start another specific thread later.

Do you know rockauto.com gives us a 5% discount (see forum index) and has a good stock of parts? should have the multifunction switch in stock. Watch the shipping costs and try to buy stuff from only one or two warehouses.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                            Cars do not eat coolant unless there is a problem. could be simple, or difficult.

I suggest you search around here for a bit on similar issues first, then start another specific thread later.

Do you know rockauto.com gives us a 5% discount (see forum index) and has a good stock of parts? should have the multifunction switch in stock. Watch the shipping costs and try to buy stuff from only one or two warehouses.
                            I think they're just leaking from age, I still feel better with new coolant lines.

I've been searching for how tos for some planned upgrades, anti roll-bars, transmission cooler, brass TV bit, things like that.

Thanks for the warehouse info, I'll probably get a new blower motor there and some stuff to freshen up the engine, cheap prices over there from what I saw.

Comment

Got everything apart, replaced the wiper switch, turn signal switch, emergency flasher relay.

The emergancy lights flash now but still no blinker, I'm going to have the flasher relay replaced and pray that does the trick. The bulbs are still good.

The wipers wont switch off without putting them into just the right spot even after a new column, is this a relay or the wiper motor?

Also, the E-Brake pedal with not release even in Drive and the engine on. Hopefully that wont be a hard fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X