My m%^@$#!!g heater quit!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My m%^@$#!!g heater quit!!!

1986 Country Squire with Climate Control. Heater was set on VENT with the temp setting at HIGH. Had heat for about fifteen minutes while running errands, working beautifully. The car sat for about 20 minutes while I was shopping. Went to drive the car again and the heat was now barely warm, even though I had not changed the settings, I set the lever to HEAT and got nothing - no heat, no fan. Then to DEF and got weak blown air through the defroster ducts, but barely warm. The FAN switch now works only on LOW and MED, but now turns off at AUTO and HIGH settings.

Ideas???
    1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Open the glovebox and pull the clear vacuum hose off the blend door servo. if its suddenly hot, your air temperature sensor has failed.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...lems-Read-This!

loss of high speed is probably something funny in the blower resistor. Auto just moves fan speed selection to a switch that bolts to the top of the blend door servo. At either temperature extreme, it runs in high speed. A fault on both pretty much has to be blower resistor because its common to both switches. Since the lower speeds work, I'll guess its more of a connection problem than a bad part.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 blower resistor probably nuked or connection loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        +1 blower resistor probably nuked or connection loose.
        Cool. So, I'm assuming all I have to do is remove the glovebox door and insert, then check the connections and the resistor?

Comment

the glovebox gets you to the blend door servo to test that stuff.

the blower resistor is under the hood, behind the passenger side valve cover. Find the bundle of wires going to what is probably a half melted plug, and you've found it. Just be prepared to replace that connector and the resistor itself if you have to touch it. They often turn to dust if you touch them after it goes half dead on it's own.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Now, the heater warms up beautifully and stays good...for about 30 minutes or so. Then it cools down, whether the heat is on HEAT, DEF, or VENT. If I drive more than about 20 miles, it'll warm back up. The fan works on all three settings. I have visually inspected what I can access to see, but found nothing that was obviously bad.

As long as the A/C works this Spring, I'm good.

Comment

Make sure your antifreeze is full. If it's low you could be circulating an air bubble that will keep your heater from heating. Engine probably won't overheat this time of year.

Comment

+1 check the level. I had that problem of drop out (though it was any time I slowed down) with low fluid. It was about half way down the rad too. Engine stayed cool no problem with just that little fluid in mid 50s (F) weather.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wandering temperature sounds like a bad interior air temperature sensor if its not the coolant level. Check the sticky I linked, it has diagnostic info on that too.

Comment

Working...
                  X