Thermal Paste For TFI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal Paste For TFI?

When replacing a TFI, Motorcraft includes a "paste/gel" to be spread on the backside of the TFI. Was wondering if this is better than Silver Thermal Paste used for computer CPU's/Cooling fans/Heatsinks. I would think the CPU stuff would be better but seeking to tap into the collective experience of my fellow mangs! Thoughts???

P.S. Already have some recent, leftover OCZ Silver CPU Thermal Paste, hence the question.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Not sure what the Motorcraft TFI's come with but the aftermarket ones always just have dielectric grease. Thermal paste would be much better and is what most guys use.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

They call it "silicone grease" but my guess it is merely dielectric grease. They included the chemical name for it (Di-methypolysiloxane). Now say that three times quickly!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

If its clear, its dielectric grease. Nice stuff for spark plug wire boots, or you can put it into the electrical connector but its not a particularly good heat conductor.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks clear but the package is slightly yellowed (not a confidence builder, in itself).

Comment

Jeeze, yellow?.......like the Calamari I ate last night, had dinner at a buds house, new wife....from Bari Italy
            Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            Looks clear but the package is slightly yellowed (not a confidence builder, in itself).

Comment

The BWD from O'Reilly came with thermal grease. Been on the beater since the ECM fried and took the original TFI out with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I purchased a NOS Motorcraft unit and it didn't come with anything. Went to the Shack and bought a tube of the silver heat sink goop.
                Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                  I purchased a NOS Motorcraft unit and it didn't come with anything. Went to the Shack and bought a tube of the silver heat sink goop.
                  That's about what I have and what I'll use.

Comment

I went to the computer store and got some of that silver thermal paste stuff for Ashley's TC when I swapped her TFI out. Expensive stuff lol, hope there's a good reason why you're supposed to use that and not dielectric grease. Do they really go bad without it? I put a lot on too...
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dielectric grease likely doesn't have any thermal transfer properties like heatsink paste does.
                      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        I went to the computer store and got some of that silver thermal paste stuff for Ashley's TC when I swapped her TFI out. Expensive stuff lol, hope there's a good reason why you're supposed to use that and not dielectric grease. Do they really go bad without it? I put a lot on too...
                        Ford claims "premature failure" if the stuff they include is not used but my money is on the thermal paste from a computer store.

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                          I did the same exact thing. Got a NOS Motorcraft one and went down to Radio shack to get the grease as it didn't have any in the box. It's been over a year now and I haven't had any problems.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

There are other tricks you can employ to get better heat transfer. Finely polishing that mating surface first with a file, and then with finer and finer grades of sandpaper until it looks like a mirror is one. The idea of the thermal goo is to fill in any voids between the back of the module and the distributor. If you mechanically remove the high spots, you can use far less thermal paste and still get a better surface.

Really the way to make sure it doesn't overheat though is to remote mount it. Or just don't worry so much about it. I got well over 200k out of the original on the Mark VII, and its actually still good. The pickup fell apart, but I had already bought the new TFI before I realized what the failure was. I have the original around here somewhere as a spare. And for what its worth, the factory installed TFI module had white residue under it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              ...The idea of the thermal goo is to fill in any voids between the back of the module and the distributor... ...I got well over 200k out of the original on the Mark VII, and its actually still good. The pickup fell apart, but I had already bought the new TFI before I realized what the failure was. I have the original around here somewhere as a spare. And for what its worth, the factory installed TFI module had white residue under it.
                              All of the modules I pulled from the yards had that same whitish residue under them. We thought the TFI module was responsible for Ash's long crank times but every time the dizzy came out it got a different module and we ended up with the same result. I'm starting to think those either work or they don't, so we've got about four spares!
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X