Cruise control abruptly stopped.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control abruptly stopped.....

Alright, I have a bit of a long stretch of highway driving, and prefer to set cruise control, thus guaranteeing myself to be speeding-ticket-free.

So, I'm driving along this morning, and I don't know if it being absurdly cold today matters or not... my foot's resting in a sort of hovering-over-the-gas-pedal position, and everything's business as usual.

Suddenly, I feel the gas pedal pop back up and slap against the underside of my shoe, as the car decelerates, and the car seems to completely ignore anything I do with the cruise control related buttons.

Any idea of where I should look first, given that particular behavior?
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

I doubt a vacuum problem like the brake vacuum dump would show up without pushing the brakes while cruising down the road. I believe the fuse would take out the turn signals also. Maybe the cruise module?
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Assuming the 87... +1 check fuses. Also check the vacuum lines to make sure one didn't suddenly collapse or break. +1 check the cruise module to see if it's still plugged in. And if it smells of burnt electronics... replace it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, it's the 87. Thanks - will start in those places. Where's the cruise module located?
        Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.

Comment

under the dash, near the parking brake pedal. its the black box, not the silver one. I think it says "Speed Control Amplifier" or something like that on it.

Check the dump valve anyway though. Possible one of the plastic ribs that holds it in position gave up and it moved. Worth a check before you buy any parts if the fuses check out OK. Another thought, make sure your brake lights are not stuck on. if the brake switch failed on, it would drop out the cruise.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't do any real looking, it was too freaking cold out! Brake lights are behaving normally, though, as are the turn signals.

Comment

Linkage still attached under the hood? (throttle body to actuator on inner fender).
              All the brake lights working? Also when the running lights are turned on?

Alex.

Comment

Does the horn work? I think they may be on the same circuit/fuse together.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

They kind of are. The power for the buttons comes through the horn relay. I don't know if the actual module powers from that same circuit or not.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The horn relay only gives a positive signal through the on button to turn the cruise on. The module is powered separately. If it is the same fuse arrangement as an 87 LTC, it's on the same fuse with the turn signals.
                    sigpic
                    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Working...
                    X