Where's my heat?!?!?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's my heat?!?!?!!?

Over the past couple of days I have noticed that my heater doesn't blow as hot as it should. It got to the point that I had to put the thermostat ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT to get some kind of heat. Auto temp or even high setting. Any other car, I would be sweating!

I don't know where to even start looking.

My anti freeze is looking fairly good, Pretty green and full

One thing I have noticed is that the heater fan would oscillate in intensity which would happen very randomly.

Another random thing I would here is that I would hear a vacuum sucking noise coming from under the steering wheel by the pedals when I am driving and it would go away if I let go of the gas pedal.

I KNOW IT'S cold outside, but I would notice after driving home 30-40miles, my radiator cap and radiator is still cold. The upper rad hose is pretty dang warm but that's it

I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but what the heck?!?!?!?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Based on your last statement, I'd be looking at the thermostat before anything else. Also, after driving the car for awhile are the two hoses running to the firewall on the passenger side hot?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I haven't checked the two hoses in the firewall.

I know I had the heater core replaced by John (86 Vicky)

The thermostat was also replaced, but even if the thermostat was broken the hose wouldn't be hot then, no?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

based on the fan speed varying, I'd be checking that vacuum check valve at the firewall that has 2 lines coming off of it (one goes to the soup can - vacuum reservoir - and the other to the AC system). If that's working, then I'd check the vacuum reservoir to make sure it's still holding strong.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is that check valve located on the interior firewall, or exterior. Also, is the check valve located under the steering column ( I am assuming)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

And plug the vacuum line going to your auto parking brake release (sucking noise from the pedals-vacuum leak)

Comment

I replaced that valve (the crescent thing)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                based on the fan speed varying, I'd be checking that vacuum check valve at the firewall that has 2 lines coming off of it (one goes to the soup can - vacuum reservoir - and the other to the AC system). If that's working, then I'd check the vacuum reservoir to make sure it's still holding strong.
                That's a vacuum reservoir??? Well THAT explains a lot.

I was told it was probably something to do with smog, so I ignored it. NOW everything makes sense.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

the reservoir should hold vacuum> is it normal to lose a little?>

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

if the check valve (engine side on the vacuum tree behind the upper intake just left of center) looses more than 1 PSI per minute, replace it. If the vacuum reservoir looses any pressure within a minute and you have a good gauge and hand pump that doesn't leak, repair/replace it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If that stuff leaks, it gets hotter and shifts to defrost. It should not leak, but that stuff can be totally dicked and it will not cause poor heat.

Since I'm here, I'll go ahead and post a link.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...lems-Read-This!
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        If that stuff leaks, it gets hotter and shifts to defrost. It should not leak, but that stuff can be totally dicked and it will not cause poor heat.

Since I'm here, I'll go ahead and post a link.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...lems-Read-This!
                        I can attest to this. Apparently my vacuum reservoir has been entirely disconnected ever since I got my car, and it hasn't affected the heater. It has caused it to make lots of funny noises when I turn it off, but it works fine. I had no idea what was causing it until now, but hey.

When mine started to become a problem, I replaced the thermostat and heater core and got good results.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Sorry to play dumb, but is this vacuum tree you speak of the check valve itself?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Yeah, I hope it isn't the heating core, just had it replaced two years ago. but the thermostat should be ok, since the upper hose is warm/hot

I will feel the two hoses in the firewall and look at the link gadget sent me.

Also, is it normal for the heater (when switched on) to be warm/hot at first, then get more mild as time goes on>?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                              Yeah, I hope it isn't the heating core, just had it replaced two years ago. but the thermostat should be ok, since the upper hose is warm/hot

I will feel the two hoses in the firewall and look at the link gadget sent me.

Also, is it normal for the heater (when switched on) to be warm/hot at first, then get more mild as time goes on>?
                              Nope. That sounds like a thermostat problem.

They're like 8 bucks, get a new one and see what happens.
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X