Lights but no sound from aftermarket stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights but no sound from aftermarket stereo

I have an aftermarket sound system thats in my car. Subwoofer, amp and headunit. The lights on the radio light up. I can tell its getting a signal.

There is a display on the stereo that shows what speakers have sound coming out of them. Only the subwoofer shows up, but there is no sound coming out of it. There is no sound coming out of any of the speakers. I have checked all the wires and the connections, and everything is hooked up correctly, but still no sound. It looks like its working as it should, but its not.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
    88 CVLX
    01 Marquis

Sony? JVC? I've heard of the output issues on both. If you can, take a voltmeter to one of the speakers and see if you're getting any voltage across the speaker when it's cranked up. There may also be a setting to disable the internal amp and use only pre-outs. If that's the case and you're using the powered speaker wires in the harness, you won't get sound.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Or perhaps the hook up is just wrong????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I'd second checking the settings. Ive been through this before on my own car. Pissed me off to no end. Everything was working fine...needed to disconnect the battery for something and after the job no sound from the rear speakers. Silly setting in the radio got me.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The only thing I can add at this point is please provide details. Among other things, a model number would allow people to look up the manual if they're so inclined. Also, some context would help. eg. How long have you had it?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Its an Alpine CDA-7998R FantomFace. I have checked the settings and it still doesn't work. The radio came in the car, and the prior owner said it worked, but he had taken it out and put it back in. Im thinking its a hook up issue, but I have done everything aside from rerun the lines.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
            1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
            88 CVLX
            01 Marquis

Comment

Here's a link for the manual:

It looks like it only has RCA outputs, one pair for front, one pair for rear, and one pair for a subwoofer that can be turned off.

Are you currently dealing only with the components and wiring that came with the car? What kind of amp is it?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I'd double check the connectors to make sure they're making good contact... and the multimeter test can be done at the back of the unit too by backprobing the stock speaker connector (sticking the meter probes down the hole the wires go into on the connector)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X