Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Issues (both '90 TC & HO-swapped '91 GM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, mine starts up exactly the same. I think all mine needs is a bendix too but I already took it in for core price. Had to be the original
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
      I've been under the impression that the "BFH" approach is absolutely never to be done on a permanent magnet starter (as 90+ Panthers use) due to the magnets shattering or coming detached from the inner walls of the starter motor, causing complete failure shortly after - is that accurate?
      well, you shouldn't beat it, but a gentle tap to un-stick a bad one may get you going one more time to drive to the parts store for a replacement. Generally speaking if you have to whap the starter to make it go, its already shot and you are using it as a last ditch effort to get home, hopefully by way of the store with a new part so you can change it without having to hope it will start a second time.

But anyway, the small type starters use the stock relay as a trigger for the solenoid. They are under almost no load, and basically never go bad. The old ones ran full starter load through the relay, but with a good starter they still don't go bad often. If you're cooking starter relays, its a good sign that the starter is bad and drawing more current than it should.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X