Lazy Parking brake release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy Parking brake release

I have been noticing that when I put my car in Drive (or OD) the parking brake release takes forever to release. I replaced that crescent looking valve. It worked great before. I have just noticed that it takes longer and longer for the brake to release automatically. This morning I had to do it manually cause it wouldn't release.

Any idea what could be the culprit?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

It's probably the actuator starting to go bad (not holding vacuum), I believe from reading on here they are difficult if not impossible to find new.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Really??? Is there a repair you can do to fix it? Like patch up/seal the diaphragm?

Or just start picking panther's in the junkyard?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Never heard of a fix for them. Probably just have to find one at a JY that is better than your present one.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

You're just saying it's lazy because it's black!
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I've thought of pouring some fix-a-flat in one and putting it on a rolling jig to keep it from settling in the hole, but other than that, yeah, you're going to have to find one in better shape than yours or modify the frame the current one sits in to accept one of the newer plastic ones that are seemingly used on EVERYTHING that requires vacuum to pull something. Double check that the horseshoe shaped valve isn't the part leaking first as those can still be had.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              You're just saying it's lazy because it's black!
              Bad Nick... no internets for you for 3 hours!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I already have Al Sharpton on the way......

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the valve may not be adjusted right. if its off a bit, it won't pass full vacuum and it will have to "build up" until it has enough to pop the thing. It may also just be restrictive if it was made a bit wrong.

You can leak test the vacuum motor easy enough. Just pump it up and see if it holds.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 04-24-2015, 08:21 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't know you could adjust them.

Which hose would you put a vacuum on it to test it

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

whichever one doesn't have suction with the engine running. Suction side goes to the motor, no suck goes to the parking brake release.

I think they have a slotted mounting screw, don't they? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I never fixed mine. It was bad when I got the car, then I caught it on fire and melted the hoses away. Its still in there, dead as it was 10 years ago I presume.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's amazing how you take these features for granted until they stop working

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X