Is this enough hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this enough hose?

I'm planning on replacing all the vacuum hoses with platinum cured silicone, but I dunno how much I'll need.

Is this enough, or would I need to get the bigger kit?
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Looks like enough to do quite a few cars
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Not cheap! Looks like enough for you to do your car and then come down here and do mine!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

$108 for some vacuum line? Is it gold plated?
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

+1 plenty.
          +1 expensive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Alright then I'll move down to the $70 kit.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I think I replaced all of mine for under $30. Its just boring rubber shit from the parts store, but it should last another 20 years.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I spent $20-30 on bulk hose from the local parts place as I needed it. I did use fuel line for the evap hose (off the front of the intake manifold to the solenoid behind the battery) and PCV hose just because I didn't want to dick with those ever again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I understand the wish to provide the best parts possible, for your car, so that they "last a lifetime". I go with OEM parts for most of my repairs. However, when it comes to vac lines, I think you will find the traditional rubber ones are MUCH cheaper and will last long enough to both reward your wallet AND not fail under normal conditions. You will probably NOT have your car so long to justify the high prices of these specialty lines. As "Sly" stated, use fuel lines (which are expensive enough) for the stuff you want to last longer (tougher to reach spots) and regular rubber on the others. You WON'T notice the difference....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I'm thinking fuel hose is probably the stuff to use on the PCV just because other things don't hold up. I haven't had issues with any of the other lines failing in strange ways but the PCV line gets gummy. I like that stock molded line, but I think its now unavailable and for me it wouldn't actually work due to the different intake I run.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      I understand the wish to provide the best parts possible, for your car, so that they "last a lifetime". I go with OEM parts for most of my repairs. However, when it comes to vac lines, I think you will find the traditional rubber ones are MUCH cheaper and will last long enough to both reward your wallet AND not fail under normal conditions. You will probably NOT have your car so long to justify the high prices of these specialty lines. As "Sly" stated, use fuel lines (which are expensive enough) for the stuff you want to last longer (tougher to reach spots) and regular rubber on the others. You WON'T notice the difference....
                      Eh. Already ordered them. I plan on keeping this thing as long as I can. I'd rather invest my money into an already reliable vehicle that I enjoy than keep swapping between cars like I see others do. So, I would rather just use these and not have to worry about it again.

There's no way in hell I could afford another car as it is anyway, so I have to do everything in my power to prevent this one from breaking. $70 is really not a big deal.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Seller dropped the ball, so I took your advice and got these instead. $40 with free shipping. They're still silicone, but a hose is a hose, as long as it doesn't rot it doesn't really matter. Just thought I'd let you all know I do listen.

Edit: I spent some of the money I saved on some solder and heat shrink tubing from the US so it actually gets here before I lose my goddamn mind from inactivity. The rest will be cushion money for the month.
                        Last edited by ootdega; 05-13-2015, 03:30 AM.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Look at the money you saved.....COOL!

Comment

Shit, maybe I should do this. I'm still fighting idle surge/high idle problem after throwing an IAC at this bastard. MAF is clean and working fine so WTF? Good thread oot, you've given me a direction to go in that I'd been avoiding, but I reckon it's time I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              Shit, maybe I should do this. I'm still fighting idle surge/high idle problem after throwing an IAC at this bastard. MAF is clean and working fine so WTF? Good thread oot, you've given me a direction to go in that I'd been avoiding, but I reckon it's time I did it.
                              Is the vacuum line to the MAF ok??

Comment

Working...
                              X