Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition switch

Gents,

In town today, 95 degrees, parked in the sun, when I goit back in the car, the wheel was locked and the ignition key wouldn't turn. I jiggled the wheel(a little), tried to get out of park (nope) took the key out and reinserted several times. Finally, with more pressure than I was comfortable with, it turned. Since then: maybe ten starts, no problem. I think it's happened once before this month.

But I'm making a long run next week and really, really don't want to get stuck in the boonies on a hot day with two dogs. How worried should I be? What should I consider changing out?

Donald McCaig

Might be the cylinder is failing. I've seen that before. Could also be the piece inside the column that the cylinder turns is worn out.

Changing the cylinder itself is easy. Remove the lower plastic shield from the column. Put the key in and turn it one click forward. Just on the bottom of where the cylinder is, there is a small hole. Poke something up in there to push the button in, and slide the cylinder out. I don't remember how to get the inner rod out once the cylinder itself has been removed. I know there is a toothed bit that pushes the rod up and down that can wear out and jam up though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if the steering is cranked one way or the other (wheels not centered or close to) the steering long will tend to bind up and you'll have to pull the steering wheel away from the lock (towards the way the wheels are currently turned) to get the key to turn and release the steering lock.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
      X