what year did AC move away from R22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what year did AC move away from R22?

thinking about rebuilding my 5.0 for the wagon, and if so, would make sense to finally have working AC. my '85 CP has the oldskool system, which i understand is no longer supported.

what all would i need to grab from a junkyard to update to something current, and from what year/make/model?

thanks in advance for any insight.

1994 was the hard and fast cutoff date every car since 94 to whenever required r134a. Some mfgs switched early, but it's '94 up

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

All the parts, compressor evap core dryer/accumulator lines etc off another 85, the systems can be converted as long as they get all the old shit out. Don't know if all the plugs and wiring is the same thru '88 or what. You'll want bracket for compressor etc, I don't know if you're better off cobbling something together or just getting a $1000 aftermarket unit, or buying new parts online.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

and it was R12. R22 was household AC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, R12, but 94ish sounds right. I know 1992 Towncars had R12 yet.

You can just convert what you have. They work fairly well. The 85 takes somewhat specific stuff. They were still using screw-together connectors then, and it switched to spring lock quick disconnects in 1985. Unless you're interested in changing all of the parts out to fit later bits on, I'd keep the 85 stuff and convert it. Nothing you can easily switch it to is appreciably different than what you've got anyway, just the connectors are different.

The one thing I'm sort of curious about for my own interests is whether or not a later condensor can be fit into a box. A native R134a condensor should be more efficient, which means better cooling capacity. I know there is a bit of monkey work that can be done to swap in a later one to a Fox car, but the Fox AC system was marginal as hell to begin with, and it sucks with 134A. The Panther stuff was not so marginal and the conversions, if done properly, give good enough results that most people are fine with it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

93 was the last year for r12 in panthers. Government mandate was 94.

Comment

I'll need to look into this sooner or later myself, since I'm going to swap motors and it's hard to get stuff to recharge an r12 system. Keep us abreast of your progress.

Comment

You can still get the R-12 via Mexico. There is only one problem. It is cut with propane. Don't want to read about you going up in a ball of fire on the 405 freeway. The R134 retrofit is not expensive and safe.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                I'll need to look into this sooner or later myself, since I'm going to swap motors and it's hard to get stuff to recharge an r12 system. Keep us abreast of your progress.

Comment

The 2 lb of propane wouldn't bother me. The 18 gallons of fuel in the tank is a much bigger practical concern. I've honestly considered converting stuff to propane, its a pretty good refrigerant if you get the pressures right. Closer match for R22 than R12 though apparently, and with a fixed orifice system that can be problematic. It would likely do better with an expansion valve setup, particularly if it was an adjustable valve to get the pressures right.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X