Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator

Turns out the buzzing behind in my cluster is apparently the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator. It makes a buzzing noise over the slightest of bumps. The bolt is very tight and the noise is coming from the inside and only happens when the cluster is plugged in.

Problem is I can't find this part ANYWHERE. Is there a workaround to replacing it? I'm on my phone other wise I would have searched but we all know how great and reliable the Tapatalk is at searching.

Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voltage regulator? There's the anti-slosh module for the fuel gauge, but that should be the only electronics on the cluster. The rest should just be light bulbs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is the thing. Every thing is saying instrument cluster voltage regulator

Comment

ah... My 88 doesn't have that. Guess that changed as well. Might try removing the screw and putting some thin rubber, folded bit of paper, or something to take up the space between it and the cluster (not at the screw location as that's a contact point). This should prevent and physical vibration. If the vibration is electrically induced in it, you probably can't solve that without replacing it with something solid state (non-switching).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yeah i dunno where to start lol

Comment

All the boxes to my knowledge save for maybe the 90+ have that thing.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=Ford...=fflb&tbm=shop The constant ones I think are the transistor controlled ones for more accurate readings on the fuel gauge.

Comment

I may have to look again... though that probably won't be any time soon.

Comment

Ones are reproduced for the fox body cars. May be an avenue to search.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I just bit the bullet and bought one online. Thanks for help guys

Comment

ah, the old IVR, a patch ford used in the late 1950s to use up their stock of 6 volt instruments, and kept using the stupid thing through the late 1980s.

You can replace that with a solid state device or make your own. A 7805 fixed voltage regulator will give you stable 5vdc output for the gauges.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just bit the bullet and bought one online. Thanks for help guys

Comment

I don't know why it posted that twice

Comment

I believe they still use those in brand new Ford products. I ran across one for a new Focus last night on my eBay prowls.

I need one in my 74 f250. All the gauges read twice what they should. 1/4 tank of gas is empty!!! And the temp is 180 on the aftermarket gauge and right at the top of the hot range on the stock gauge. But it makes my oil pressure gauge read quite impressively.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Probably shorted. I'd ditch it for a modern solution. The old system works basically like the mechanical blinker units do, its a bi-metal strip with a heater wire wound around it. it makes and breaks as the metal heats and cools to "regulate" the output voltage. Fairly crappy way of getting it done. It made sense in the 60s when we didn't have compact an inexpensive electronics to do it, but now its just silly to retain the stock design.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok what should I buy then? Any examples?

Comment

Working...
                              X