Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad AOD shifting

Hi,

So the garage repaired what they said was a hose went to the MAP, because they said when the mechanic stepped on the pedal it lagged.

So now, I have to rev the engine a bit before it idles stable. Otherwise the rpms slow so much the engine stumbles, then recoups, then stumbles, etc.

So before, I could accelerate and even skip down the gear by playing the gas pedal like a shifter.
    Now, the tranny abruptly stalls at thr 32 shift mark on the speedometer. If I want to jamb the pedal down to force a shift....it does squat. Tries, but not like before.

I could even before accelerate well past the normal shift point, slightly lift the pedal go into 3rd and jamb it to 2nd then release to 4th.

Advice other than slap the mechanic?
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Check the TV cable. If they unhooked it or if the bushing failed, it will not downshift. The TV cable is on the bottom of the throttle body, one of the 3 cables down there. Two go together on the side closer to the fender, the TV cable is the one by itself closer to the center of the engine.

Sounds like whatever they fixed made it worse, or they connected something to the wrong place. The symptoms you describe are typical of large vacuum leaks, especially around the MAP sensor.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

X2 on the TV adjustment/bushing/cable.

May also check for vacuum leaks if they have been playing round the vacuum hoses.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        X2 on the TV adjustment/bushing/cable.

May also check for vacuum leaks if they have been playing round the vacuum hoses.
        So i took about 30 min to get reacquainted with the vacuum plumbing, checked the tubes and solenoid connections ....

Besides my other post on a carbon canister being sheared off, I found what looks like deliberate damage to the coffee can tubing. Plier teeth marks which caused the plastic tubing to crack halfway (pic).

I didn't have any 1/8" ID hosing to hrlp seal, so I just put some tape on it. Problem fixed - for the most part. Test driving accelerates like before. So maybe the mechanic did remedy the hoses but I too fixed vacuum leaks with the same rubber hosing years ago. So did he do anything?

I could goto the service station and bitch, but he forgives labor costs too on some work.

Here is a pic of the tv bushing tb items.
        - ok here.
        sigpic
        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
        302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
        COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Its plastic, but it looks intact. Still would consider picking up a metal one.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Definitely get the brass tv bushing, it's so cheap and easy that it's stupid not to. I bought a 4-pack of them for like 10 bucks. Basically did this to ensure I have to get some more box panthers...

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Definitely get the brass tv bushing, it's so cheap and easy that it's stupid not to. I bought a 4-pack of them for like 10 bucks. Basically did this to ensure I have to get some more box panthers...
              Which you did! Props to staying true to the boxes.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Its plastic, but it looks intact. Still would consider picking up a metal one.

Is this the one?

I edit my posts too much. I need to work on that.
                Last edited by ootdega; 08-11-2016, 02:16 AM.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

That's the one!
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Ooh! Now a 5-pack! Excellent. Just ordered 5 more just because...8 bucks! This will keep the panther community in TV bushings for a while. Think I still have a couple in the trunk of dead car but it's totally full of other parts that recently came off it, lol. We should all start carrying these around in our pockets like VW guys with clutch/throttle cables.
                    Last edited by knucklehead0202; 08-11-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Ooh! Now a 5-pack! Excellent. Just ordered 5 more just because...8 bucks! This will keep the panther community in TV bushings for a while. Think I still have a couple in the trunk of dead car but it's totally full of other parts that recently came off it, lol. We should all start carrying these around in our pockets like VW guys with clutch/throttle cables.
                      Probably a solid idea. That listing was pretty hard to find. Most people are selling singles for 10 dollars and up.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

...and me like an idiot just giving them away here and there, lol. Anyhow, an aside to this post should be; Bad AOD shifting=Regular AOD shifting. God they are so lame when stock. Kinda miss my 4r70 but not enough....yet.

Comment

...and me like an idiot just giving them away here and there, lol. Anyhow, an aside to this post should be; Bad AOD shifting=Regular AOD shifting. God they are so lame when stock. Kinda miss my 4r70 but not enough....yet.
                          The AOD shifts wonderfully when it's got a decent valve body in it.

Comment

Or even a stock one with an appropriate shift kit. The stock shift programming does kinda suck though.

Comment

Working...
                            X