AC Condenser leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, conversion adapters.

Ester oil is the R134a conversion oil. Mineral oil for R12. You can use either, R12 will give you somewhat better performance. 134a is a bit easier to get ahold of and its cheaper. R12 prices are not quite so retarded as they used to be, but you're not getting it for the $4 a can I got 134a for over the weekend.

If you're feeling experimental, a mid-later 90s condensor should be more efficient. Those are a multi-flow type that works better with R134a. Unfortunately I have no idea if the plumbing actually works out as I have not researched it at all. I figure I'll look into that if and when mine shits out on me unless I can convince someone else to try it first and let me know.
    Last edited by gadget73; 08-08-2016, 04:44 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
      Normally if the system is converted the fittings are the new larger fittings.
      Oh I see what you mean, new R134-compatible parts should come with the new-style fittings from the factory?
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Not exactly.

The charging/vacuum fittings are different r12 vs r134.
        The the fittings that connect one part to another vary by the specific car, like most parts.

There are two charge fittings, high side and low side. They are supposed to have caps on them Blue for low pressure side and red for high pressure side. Inside is a schrader valve similar to your tire valve.

Did anyone explain to you how to open a charged system? You don't want to get a facefull of refrigeration gas.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

My car needed to be topped off some years back and dad had a HUGE container of r12 at work but no way to bring it home other than transferring some in a used 134 can. (various hoses/fittings/hackery was used in the process). My car now sports 134 adaptors but still r12 because of all this. Did not remove the fitting because original schrader valve was stuck...would loose everything so the fittings remain. Really, all should be replaced but the car get used here and there and it aint of great concern.

Good luck with your repair.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I knew there was something off about the Brown Blob but until now I didn't know what it was!
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
              Oh I see what you mean, new R134-compatible parts should come with the new-style fittings from the factory?
              You might think so, but no. When I replaced all of the hoses and the drier for mine, the new parts had R12 fittings and still required retrofit bits. I'd prefer if it was native R134a fittings but the replacement parts duplicate the originals.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's kinda what I vaguely remembered as well, that's why I brought it up.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  Not exactly.

The charging/vacuum fittings are different r12 vs r134.
                  The the fittings that connect one part to another vary by the specific car, like most parts.

There are two charge fittings, high side and low side. They are supposed to have caps on them Blue for low pressure side and red for high pressure side. Inside is a schrader valve similar to your tire valve.

Did anyone explain to you how to open a charged system? You don't want to get a facefull of refrigeration gas.
                  No. I do not want gas in my face. Please explain

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  My car needed to be topped off some years back and dad had a HUGE container of r12 at work but no way to bring it home other than transferring some in a used 134 can. (various hoses/fittings/hackery was used in the process). My car now sports 134 adaptors but still r12 because of all this. Did not remove the fitting because original schrader valve was stuck...would loose everything so the fittings remain. Really, all should be replaced but the car get used here and there and it aint of great concern.

Good luck with your repair.
                  Thanks all. Not of great concern here either. I'll revisit when the time comes (probably between now and next summer). There are more pressing needs with this car than trying to get the AC a few degrees colder.
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

There are 2 ways of discharging an AC system.

1) the right way. Have a shop use an AC machine to evacuate it.

2) the wrong way. Hook up a manifold gauge set without the charge hose connected to anything, and open the valves

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      There are 2 ways of discharging an AC system.

1) the right way. Have a shop use an AC machine to evacuate it.

2) the wrong way. Hook up a manifold gauge set without the charge hose connected to anything, and open the valves
                      or

3) break something and have it leak out from that point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

or 4) ignore the known leak and it will eventually go away on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          or 4) ignore the known leak and it will eventually go away on it's own.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you don't work on it till next spring and it is cooling exactly the same as it is now, I would be tempted to just get it filled. Plus 1-2oz of oil also. Depending on what the fill costs for this gamble.
                            sigpic
                            89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                            13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                            "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Working...
                            X