Dangling wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangling wire

This cable has been hanging free since I have ... owned the car. Any idea of its use? Maybe an accessory flux capacitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Maybe to a foot well lamp.

It is one wire. Foot well lamps were grounded by their mounting points. Check for power with door open, and with door closed. If only powered with door open it would be for a light.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

lamp would be my guess too. its about in the right spot.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The odd part about that though is the connector. The connector looks to be capable of housing two wires. The connector also appears to be keyed suggesting it goes into another connector as part of some harness. Wire color could ease the curiosity some may have. It looks like pink with blue dots. Off the top of my head I have NFC.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I remember a harness like that somewhere under my dash on both sides. Looks like a speaker connector. I do know that there is unused wires in the harness in my beater and it would figure that up-optioned cars may not use a few of the wires that my base optioned car uses. Especially in regard to the speakers. If there's only 4 speakers in the car (no dash speakers) that may be the dash speaker option wiring hanging down.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            I remember a harness like that somewhere under my dash on both sides. Looks like a speaker connector. I do know that there is unused wires in the harness in my beater and it would figure that up-optioned cars may not use a few of the wires that my base optioned car uses. Especially in regard to the speakers. If there's only 4 speakers in the car (no dash speakers) that may be the dash speaker option wiring hanging down.
            Whoever purchased the car got everything but heavy duty suspension for the LS. Just fixed the right sub in the door by sanding the contacts.

I never bothered to check it. Sorta like when there is a quarter that rolls back and forth in the body. I only see it when it moves.
            sigpic
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

Looks like an old-school Ford speaker wire to me, too. If it were a flux capacitor connector, it would have a Mr Fusion logo on it for anything after 1986.
              Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
              Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Maybe to a foot well lamp.

It is one wire. Foot well lamps were grounded by their mounting points. Check for power with door open, and with door closed. If only powered with door open it would be for a light.
                That's what it looks like to me. My '85 LTD had a similar plug & that's what I tapped into to power the lights I added to the door
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Dangling wire

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  That's what it looks like to me. My '85 LTD had a similar plug & that's what I tapped into to power the lights I added to the door
                  I was able to pickup the wiring schematics for the LTD/MGM, and it is a purple wire with orange stripe (P/O).

The connector p/n was used for various thing like a courtesy light or trunk switch (77-79) - which I already have for both. Maybe something left over like an appendix.

The wire 298 p/o is shared between a 'spring suspension control module' and a 'compressor relay' - which I don't have either if these belong to the 'heavy duty suspension' (IDK) or for the TC?

sigpic

Comment

So your car already had the lights in the door? I don't think I've seen a CV with 'em from the factory, least not the early ones like mine. My car even had the uplevel interior and such. Only options my car didn't have were the full roof (which I've never seen on a CV), air ride, power antenna, turbine wheels and premium sound. Yet it didn't have the faux wood trim with the door lights, so I added them.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      So your car already had the lights in the door? I don't think I've seen a CV with 'em from the factory, least not the early ones like mine. My car even had the uplevel interior and such. Only options my car didn't have were the full roof (which I've never seen on a CV), air ride, power antenna, turbine wheels and premium sound. Yet it didn't have the faux wood trim with the door lights, so I added them.
                      Have (GM) the foot well light and door courtesy light with the plastic wood, power antenna and p/s (in pic). I realized I am missing the passenger dash underside cover. More cardboard.

I remember one time talking about replacing the faux wood with veneer or walnut. But then reality sunk in.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think only Mercury's and Lincoln's got that cardboard. That or every CV I've come across has been stripped of it.

Yeah, Grand1 did that with a Lincoln he had. Think it was just for the door switch panels, looked cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X