new alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new alternator

got my last alternator from autozone duralast and it didnt do what i wanted.so i bit the bullet and got this mechman 240 amp alternator
    Attached Files

Very nice. What do you need the extra 100A to power, sound?

Did you solve the high idle problem?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Hefty!

The tensioner bolt down hole looks mighty tiny. What are your plans for securing it?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Didn't solve the high idle problem? just want more power.just a bolt to securing it

Comment

isn't this your post?

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=high+idle
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yes

Comment

I was asking if you fixed the problem.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

no didn't fix high idle still working on it

Comment

That bolt hole is 8mm threaded, drill the bitch out to 3/8 and then use a much more proper 3/8" Grade-8 bolt with a nut on the other side.

Also, for 240 amps running at full tilt, you better have some real good belt wrap on that pulley... Which you won't have, the factory belt routing only allows about 90 degrees of belt wrap, which is pathetic and at heavy load the belt slips and squeals something horrid. Tightening the belt too much doesn't solve the problem, just kills water pump bearings and power steering pump bushings faster. If you really wanna make use of all that alt is capable of, better start thinking of where to add a stationary idler and how to alter the belt routing to accommodate it.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Grade 8? Grade 5 will be more than adequate for just about everything bolted onto a car save for suspension parts. And the 8mm will hold that sucker in place. A 1/4" bolt will even keep it locked down. Grade 8 is just way overkill.

Alex.

Comment

You would think so, but quite often the steel bracket isn't lined up quite right and the alt top bolt has to pull it in. No big deal in and of itself, however many folks don't know when to stop tightening a bolt, and should that 8mm shear the piece left threaded into the alt will make things interesting to say the least. The slightly larger grade-8 bolt and nut affair is just a cheap insurance against both slip-ups from the installer and fuck-ups from whoever made the bolt (most hardware store bolts aren't really consistent in quality).
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Drill and tap it. Screw that nut shit. 5/16" bit is the drill size for 3/8-NC. Its aluminum, so it should tap reasonably easy. You've got like 3 or 4 bolt diameters worth of thread. The bolt will fail before it strips.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X