parking lights stuck on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parking lights stuck on

hi everyone, i havent posted in a long time because i haven't had amy problems lol. but now i do. my 83 mark vi sat for a month while i went on vacation so relays decided to stop working. first was the fuel pump which i knew where the relay was and fixed. now is the running lights. i can not find the relay to save my life, so if anyone knows could you please pass its location along.
    1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
    1983 lincoln mark VI, all factory
    2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

You already replaced the autolamp relay didn't you. It's one of the two on the driver fender next to the hood hinge with the metal clip. The one that has SOLDER on it (there's a wire that comes out of the back of the relay and it is soldered to this mounting clip for ground). This is NOT a regular relay like the fuel pump/ECM/AC-WOT relays. It is a double pole relay that switches TWO inputs to TWO outputs. Regular relays are one input to normally open or normally closed outputs. The autolamp relay takes the parking input and headlight input and outputs it to the parking lights and headlights on 2 separate paths. I had to replace that damn relay once. Used one from my 88 grand marquis and then replaced that one later when I got another one. Ford used that relay in everything in the 80s. so you can find it in anything that had automatic headlamps until they went to the flat 6 pin relay. You can also cut the thing out and replace it with that 6-pin one as that one is still available. But you'd have to know the wiring of both to do that.

I'll go find my old post with the part number so you can find the right one in a junk yard.
    Last edited by sly; 08-15-2016, 11:04 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

part number: E3AB-14A672-B1A

A regular relay in place of the autolamp relay will make the parking lights stay on.

Edit: Attached is a pic showing said wire sticking out of the relay.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sly; 08-15-2016, 11:14 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Now that wins an all time hokey design shortcut award.

Comment

I think the idea was to re-use the existing relay sockets. Fairly bullshit way of getting it done IMO. If I had one of those, I'd re-wire it to use a pair of standard Bosch type relays instead of the special BS relay.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X