TPS Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS Voltage

I have a TPS voltage problem. Subject vehicle is a 1991 F-150 Custom 4x4 5.0 E4OD.
    Read codes, got one for TPS voltage out of range. Performed TPS voltage test, and it is indeed out of range. Used two different TPS's with same result.
    No voltage at all. Zero, no matter what position the throttle is at. Tried probing at various points along the green wire and grey/white wire back to the main connector on the LH fender apron. Tested multimeter and tried different negative grounds, including negative battery post.
    Then disconnected the main ECM connector at the firewall, inspected the pins and determined they were clean, but still cleaned them a bit anyway just because. Still no voltage.
    Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? No problem to find high or low voltage situations anywhere on the internet, replace or adjust TPS usually fixes the problem. Can't find any cases of no voltage whatsoever though.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Try from the orange wire to the black. If you don't have 5v there, you've got a break in the wiring between the TPS connector and the 5v reference voltage source for the ECM. Might be worth checking the ACT or ECT as they also work off that same 5v signal. If none of the others have it, either the connection is broken near the ECM or the internal voltage supply on the ECM is dinked.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Try from the orange wire to the black. If you don't have 5v there, you've got a break in the wiring between the TPS connector and the 5v reference voltage source for the ECM. Might be worth checking the ACT or ECT as they also work off that same 5v signal. If none of the others have it, either the connection is broken near the ECM or the internal voltage supply on the ECM is dinked.
      Makes sense. I'll try that ASAP.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Working...
      X